Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

lost and unrecoverable drivers

• Please log in to reply

jcham504

jcham504

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have recently reformated my hard drive to get a fresh operating system and remove all the accumulated junk over 4 years of service. After the reformat and install of windows XP Pro. found I had no drivers for ethernet, video, or audio. I added a USB connected wireless internet adapter to get internet service, downloaded all the windows updates to and including sp3. Tried numerous times through device mgr, and driver downloads, to update drivers. no go. I downloaded the drivers for the video and audio but still no install. I purchased a new video card installed and now have all my video back. I purchase a sound card installed but still no drivers for audio. I haven't bothered with the ethernet card as yet due to usb connection. Can anyone give me some steps to put all this back together. I never have had this happen before with a reformat.

Computer information and a system report is attached in text form.

Attached Files

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this a laptop or desktop?
Branded or custom build?
If branded what brand, make and model?
If custom what is the brand, make and model of the motherboard?

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I'm sorry I would have thought that the information I provided in the systemreport.txt that I attached would have covered that. Here is the info you asked for:

Computer type= desktop
Brand= Insignia made by Gateway
Model= D400a
Ram= 1gig
HD cap= 250gig
op sys= winxp pro sp3
bios vers= INTEL - 20040811
Processor ID = x86 Family 15 Model

I am attaching the file again.
Thank you for your help

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That model number is not coming up on Insignia's site for drivers. It's also not coming up on Gateways site either.

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have attached a picture in PDF formatAttached File  DSCF0182.PDF   550.28KB   43 downloads of the front of the desktop with information label for same. Please check it out.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK still no model number showing under Insignia drivers. Have you tried to contact them and ask about a link to all the original drivers?

USA number 1-877-467-4289 Daily from 7am to 12am CT

Europe number 0800 028 1100 Daily from 6am to 9pm CT

They should be able to supply a direct link for you to the drivers or another website that will have the original set of drivers.

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I'll give that a shot. Will post results of querry

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks and I'm sorry we have to do it this way but if you don't have a drivers disk then the only other option is to contact them. You may want to see if they have a set of recovery disks for your system ad how much they would be to purchase. Normally it is less then $30USD and it will include OS, programs and drivers.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I think I may have found the product, it appears it was marketed by Best Buys, if that means anything to you.
It does not mean a thing to me. I am in the UK

Product MPN MPN:D400A
Key Features Processor:Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz
Installed Memory:512 MB (DDR SDRAM)
Operating System:Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
HDD Size:160 GB
Optical Drive Type:CD-ROM · CD Burner
Recommended Use:Home Use
Processor Processor Type:Intel Pentium 4Processor Speed:2.8 GHz
Processor Manufacturer:Intel
Installed Qty:1Max Processors Qty.:1
Motherboard Bus Speed:400 MHz
Memory RAM Technology :DDR SDRAM
Installed RAM:512
MBMax Supported RAM:2 GB
Supported RAM Speeds:266 MHz
Installed Cache Memory:512 KB
Technical Features Integrated Input/Output
Ports:USB 2.0 x 6 ·
FireWire (IEEE1394a) x 3 ·
Serial Port x 1 ·
RJ45 Lan Port x 1 ·
PS/2 Mouse x 1 ·
PS/2 Keyboard x 1 ·
Parallel Port (ECP/EPP/SPP) x 1
Expansion Bays:2 x 5.25"(External Access) ·
1 x 3.5" (Internal Access) ·
1 x 3.5" (External Access)
Expansion Slots:PCI x 3
Other Features:Media Card Reader
Hard Drive Hard Drive Capacity :160 GB
Hard Drive Interface:DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra)
Hard Drive Rotation Speed :7,200 RPM
Controller Type:DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra)
CD / DVD Optical Drive Type:
CD-ROMOptical Drive
Read Speed:52x (CD)
2nd Optical Drive:DVD±RW Dual Layer
2nd Optical Drive Read Speed :16x (DVD) · 48x (CD)
2nd Optical Drive Write Speed:48x (CD-R) · 8x (DVD-R) · 16x (DVD+R
)2nd Optical Drive ReWrite Speed:24x (CD-RW) · 4x (DVD+RW) · 4x (DVD-RW)
Audio / Video Graphic Processor:Intel Extreme Graphic
Modem Modem Type:Fax / Modem
Networking Networking Type:Integrated 10/100
Network CardData Link Protocol:Ethernet · Fast Etherne
tDimensions Width:7.2 in.Depth:16 in.Height:14.6 in.
Weight:24.5 lb
.Miscellaneous OS Certified:Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
UPC:799007000693
Product ID:23353046

If I have found the correct computer and recognising that you have of course already bought a graphics and sound card, albeit you have not found the drivers for the sound card - did the card not come with a driver CD.

It appears to me to be basically the same as the Insignia D400 - the link to which is here.
I may be wrong but my research suggests that the 400 had a 120Gb HDD whereas the 400A had a 160Gb and there appears to have been less usb ports etc.
I think the basics of the onboard chipset and the LAN graphics and sound are the same.
If so here is the link
http://www.insigniap...ories/D400.html

AND my further research shows that there is NO D400A listed in discontinued products
http://www.insigniap...ultsPerPage=all

but there is the D400.
Reference does exists to the D400A but only in the Q&A forum

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for all the work. You are right on from the Store to the specs. I called the number that I was given by rshaffer61, and they sent me to their download page. They no longer have a restore disc from this discontinued model. I downloaded all of the available drivers.

I tried to install the ("Realtek AC97 Audiostudio 4.95") audio drivers that I downloaded. I get about 50% trough the install when I get the following error message. TOOL FOR DRIVER UPDATE "The tool for driver update has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience." I'm thinking this might be my problem installing any of the drivers I've tried. What do you all think and how can I resolve the error?

I also get the following message window upon reboot after the above error. "An error [-5009:0x80040703] has occurred while running the setup. Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If the error still occurs. please contact your vendor. Realtek Semicinductor Corp." The error window has three boxes Report, Detail>>, and OK. I have attached the detailsAttached File  errorlog.txt   376bytes   37 downloads below...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Delete all the old drivers and then try the install with the correct driver :thumbsup:

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Please explain do you mean you want me to go to windows and windows32 directories and remove all drivers or are you saying to go to device manager and just remove the drivers for the audio section?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to Device Manager....then expand the sound entry and delete the drivers. Reboot and then install the new drivers when it asks for it.

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I deleted all of the drivers for my sound card and uninstalled the software using revo uninstaller. I rebooted and reinstalled the sound card drivers. I rebooted after install finished. After reboot got New hardward found window for Multimedia Audio Controller.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Do you still have the two cards you purchased the graphics and the sound card installed.
If so you need to either uninstall those and there drivers and ensure that in Bios enable onboard is checked.
OR if you are keeping those cards you need to ensure that use ONBOARD is not checked.
Depending on the BIOS it may read
Graphics AGP, PCI or onboard.
Some BIOS set ups use different terms, but the procedure is basically the same.

If you have it configured onboard graphics, then that is what it will use.

The same principle applies to the audio
The on-board sound setting (if there is one) in the BIOS should be Disabled. If the computer has sound plugs in both locations, soundcard has been added to the computer that already contains on-board sound. The on-board sound setting should be Disabled. To enter the BIOS, turn on the computer and when the first screen appears, press the F1 key repeatedly until the BIOS Setup screen opens. Use the LEFT and RIGHT ARROW keys to select the Advanced tab. Press the DOWN ARROW key to select Onboard Audio Options and press ENTER. If Onboard Audio Options is not available, select I/O Device Configuration and press ENTER. If Audio Codec is listed, select it and press ENTER. Select either Enabled or Disabled depending on your configuration and press ENTER. Press the F10 key and then press ENTER to save and exit Start Windows and check for sound.

In respect of the drivers, you should exercise when using Revo, you are always best using device manager and/or add/uninstall prgrams in Control panel if the drivers are listed there.
Revo is good but it is unless you really know what you are uninstalling too good on occasions.

YOU should go back to the download I sent you for the computer and install the
CHIPSET drivers FIRST
then the LAN, Audio, Graphics

The chipset driver is what allows components on the motherboard such as the graphics, Lan and audio to work properly and accept their individual drivers.