Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

lost and unrecoverable drivers

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Without becoming more technical than is necessary
Please see this image - as to what is routed via the chipsets.

Posted Image

Windows XP is fairly good at installing generic drivers and in some cases the actual correct driver.
Microsoft spent serious money in liaison with the various manufacturers to incorporate drivers into the XP install database

HOWEVER that does not mean that you should NOT do so, either in the first instance from the CD/DVD provided with the motherboard if necessary AND of course then from the latest available for that operating system from the motherboard manufacturers site.

There are without doubt, many people who NEVER do this. Their system runs without any apparent problems.

IT may indeed be that you will receive a report that they are already installed - the chipset drivers

Windows XP is fairly good at installing generic drivers and in some cases the actual correct driver.
Microsoft spent serious money in liaison with the various manufacturers to incorporate drivers into the XP install database

However it is most positively worth while trying and in your case from the link I sent you

Advertisements

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have removed the sound card and unistalled the software for it. When I restart the computer I can't get to the setup screen. It doesn't matter if I continually click F1,F2,F8, or F10 I still just go directly to the signon screen and then my desktop. Is there any other way to check the bios settings or refresh or reinstall the bios?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Does the computer display a post screen when you first power on.
If so it will tell you on that screen key F2 or whatever it says to enter setup.
When that screen is displayed you must key F2 or whatever immediately, otherwise it will not go to BIOS setup.

Do NOT even think of updating the BIOS - it is NOT worth the risk and is only necessary when you have some particular CPU or memory that will only work on a later BIOS
The risk simply for the sake of updating it is too great.

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I don't get a "Post screen or any other startup screen other than the logon icon screen. I have tried to start with the winXP pro disc in the drive to see if I can get the "press any key to run from disc screen and I don't even get that it just goes straight to the logon screen.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well it is either F1 F2 or delete from what I read.
All I can say is boot it again and immedately you have a keyboard KEEP tapping F1. -not hold it down
If it does not work, allow it to go to Windows
Close down and repeat with F2 and the same with delete.

Do you not have the user guide.
The support on that link I sent is not good.
Other than that email them and ask them.
which key is enter setup

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
when I start the computer i start clicking the F keys as soon as I see the hard drive start to work or at least light up. No matter which F key I strike the computer stops and freezes right there. If I wait for the beep when I turn it on no matter which F key again it goes to winlogon screen. I have tried this numerous times.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well I am sorry to say that I cannot help you further, with safety in mind. There may be a way to return BIOS to default but that is NOT a good move and I have no way of knowing if that would then display the post screen.

In some BIOS setups there is a setting that will do exactly what you have - in otherwords not display a post screen but go straight to the windows log on.

Even although it does not display the screen, you STILL would enter setup, if you knew the key and pressed it at the right time.
It is NO USE trying different keys on the same boot you will not have the time to do so.

F12 MAY BE boot device or setup.
there will still be a key dedicated to setup, that is just another way of going in on some computers.

The answer is as as previously mentioned, the user manual or the contact by email on the link I gave you

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well I guess an email to Insignia or a call is my last resort. I was thinking maybe if I just start from scratch with a reformat and complete reinstall of win would work. What do you think?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well that will very likely not help you to access the Bios setup, so you may find you are no further forward
Have you tried my suggestion of the chipset driver , then the LAN, and sound from the link I sent you.