Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card, Causing Computer to Freeze

• Please log in to reply

Lemon_

Lemon_

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A few weeks ago my computer began playing up. Specifically it would freeze, whatever was last on the screen would just stay there, and no input (mouse, keyboard) was accepted. I opened up the case and took a look at the graphics card, noticing how covered in dust it was. So I pulled it out and removed as much dust as I could. Returning the graphics card the error disappeared, so I assume it was overheating, causing it to freeze.

My current problem is a little diffrerent. The computer now freezes whenever I open a full screen window. Any game which is full screen, media player when I full screen, anything at all that tries to full screen will cause the computer to freeze. When this happens the mouse can still be moved around the screen, but I am forced to reboot. Looking at my previous problem I would assume it was a hardware problem with my graphics card, but seeing as it relates specifically to creating a fullscreen window I'm not too sure.

My specs are:
Pentium 4 2.53GHz
Geforce Ti4200
512 MB RAM

Any help would be much appreciated :tazz:

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Try unistalling and reinstalling the drivers for the card.
Is the fan on the card spinning?
Make sure the fan connector on the card did not come loose

Could you list your temps?

Rick

Lemon_

Lemon_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It works :tazz:

Reinstalled the Driver and took out the video card, making sure the fan connector was secure.

Hopefully it will stay working ;)

Thanks
:ph34r:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
your welcome