Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building my new computer

• Please log in to reply

Patrick Parent

Patrick Parent

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey everyone,

I have noticed the price for pre-built computers that give you limited customiztion from some of the bigger name sites and have always wanted to build one myself. After a large amount of research a decisions I am ready to go through with the purchasing of parts. What I am worried about , since I am very new to this, is the compatability and performance of all of these parts.

If you could look these over and tell me if they will be compatable or have any tips, please feel free to comment.
Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I ATX Mid Tower Black USB3.0

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67 B3 TUF Edition Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA 1155), Intel P67 Express, 1866MHz DDR3, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-Channel Audio, Gigabit LAN, SLI/CrossFireX Ready, USB 3.0

Processor: Intel Core i7-2700K Quad-Core Socket LGA1155, 3.50Ghz, 8MB L3 Cache, 32nm

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 1.5V DIMMs

Hardrive: Western Digital Caviar Green (WD10EZRX) 1TB SATA3 6Gb/s 64MB

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W Power Supply

Video Card:Zotac (ZT-50402-10L) AMP! GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB nVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti Chipset (1000Mhz) 1GB GDDR5 (4400Mhz) Dual Display DVI/HDMI PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card (Maybe a different one. Would love advice on this as; It will mainly be for gaming)

Thanks for any and all comments guys/girls!

Advertisements

NKGuy

NKGuy

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
My only problem is the HDD. Green drives are only for storing seeing as this will be a desktop and not a server I suggest a Blue or Black for better write speeds. It may be more expensive, but the results are noticeable.

Patrick Parent

Patrick Parent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Seagate Barracuda (ST1000DM003) SATA3 6.0Gb/s 1TB 64MB Cache (OEM)

Would this be a better option? I am really only going off of what I have researched lately. If you know a better option that is not too pricey (the computer with peripherals comes to about 1400 tax included) Fast response thanks!

NKGuy

NKGuy

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Alright how about this. What is your reason for this build? Is this a Work horse PC, Gaming , Browsing? If you can tell me I can help you out better?

Patrick Parent

Patrick Parent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It will be for gaming, minor media/publishing and editing

NKGuy

NKGuy

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Now I can help you. Well you see you choose the i7 correct. When gaming it is good to remember hyper threading is not utilized in games yet. So a cheaper alternative would be the i5 2500k Which would give you room for a WD Cavalier Blue HDD and allow you to get a better graphics card as well.

Edited by NKGuy, 14 March 2012 - 03:03 PM.

Patrick Parent

Patrick Parent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I was hoping to be able to hold onto the i7 for a while longer since i feel the i5 will either soon be out dated or not run as smoothly. Again I have little knowledge on this. As well, why would an i5 give "room"?

Patrick Parent

Patrick Parent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
and a better graphics card? I am not sure as to why an i5 allows for this so it is a real question :P

NKGuy

NKGuy

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
In your original post you put an i7 2700k which is a $300+ CPU an i5 2500k is $100+ less. And outdated, lol. I built my friend a gaming rig with a Phenom II X4 955 CPU and a 6950 and it runs CoD smoothly. An i5 which is better will run great. See when it comes to gaming the GPU takes on half of the work freeing up the CPU to run smoother. By going down to an i5 2500k we can get you a better GPU and a better HDD.

Patrick Parent

Patrick Parent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ohhhh, I'm liking my ability to ask questions without feeling immasculated haha. So why is it an i5 is better and will allow for a better HDD and graphics card? I don't want to spend much more than $1300.

As for and reccomendations for an i5, HDD and graphics card, anything that can work around thecase I mentioned? I really have a liking for that thing xD

Advertisements

Patrick Parent

Patrick Parent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Anyway, I gotta run to work. Please leave a comment or any ideas and suggesions that you have that could better the system or get my moneys worth. I'm looking for a $1000-$1200 range without peripherals. If peripherals are included with little affects on the system, even better. I should be home about 11:00 EDT to check up and post.

Thanks again as well as in advance,

Patrick

NKGuy

NKGuy

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Seeing that you have an LGA 1155 board the i5 2500k will work that is a given. So I'll make a quick price run down using newegg.com which is a US based computer part site.

i5 2500k $219.99

For a MOBO you could use this ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 $209.99

For RAM you can use this CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B $53.99

For a Case you would need a Full ATX case because the one you posted would be too small for the board.

Hard drive Western Digital Caviar Black WD1502FAEX 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s $159.99

Power Supply CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified $89.99

Video Card MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 $244.99

Total Would be $1076.95 without a case and of course you would need to choose a full ATX case of course. Also you would need a CD/DVD drive which would set you back $30 not even.

Patrick Parent

Patrick Parent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
You wouldn`t recommend the mobo that I had earlier posted? The build you just recommended to me just turned out to be less than the one I had build w/o peripherals and it gives me a nice cushion money wise for the peripherals themselves.

How will this run higher end games and games to come?

Patrick Parent

Patrick Parent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Also, Canadian over here :P

Patrick Parent

Patrick Parent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Ultimate Gaming Case