Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer continues to run

• Please log in to reply

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I have a Dell XP Professional Intel ® Pentium GHz,0.99GB RAM The machine just runs and runs all the time. Any idea what could cause this to happen?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hi Sharon how are you today other then your system?
A couple of basic questions for you.
Was the computer doing this before you took it to the shop?
Can you turn it on using the power button on the front of the system?

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Hello to you. I really can't say if this machine did this before went took it over to have it serviced. It would not turn on at all. It was a gift from my daughter. Very nice Dell computer and I wanted to see if it could be fixed for a reasonable amount. Now, I can turn it on by using the power button on the front. This machie has so much room. Wow! I really hope it can be fixed to work. Good to see you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK what happens if you simply hold the power button for like 10 seconds? Does it shut the system down that way?

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Ok, it shut it down in 5 seconds.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK when you say it doesn't shutdown are you telling it to shut down from the start button?

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
The fan on the computer keeps running and never stops. Sorry if I confused you. The fan needs to shut down at sometime but it does not on this machine. Debi (daughter) said the machine never did that before, it just shut down and refused to start. So she gave it to me if I wanted to get it fixed. It was suppose to have been fixed. Now this is happening and we have no reason why. Of course, I thought of you and just maybe you could help with this other machine as you did mine. Can't hurt to ask can it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so is it just the fan that won't shutdown or is it the computer?
If it is a fan that may be a wiring or connection issue.

Of course, I thought of you and just maybe you could help with this other machine as you did mine. Can't hurt to ask can it?

Flattery will get you a lot Sharon. If you don't ask then we wouldn't be able to help. ;)

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
All right, I did call back the man who fixed our machine and he did not call back. I was hoping it was something simple. I really think this is a great web site. You do so much to help others and are always kind and understanding. I guess I should try to get the sevice man on the phone tomorrow. I hope it will be a connection issue, or something easy to fix. Thank you for your help and you deserve some flattery.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it is a fan have him check to make sure the connection is not backwards or try connecting it to a different connector.
Please let me know if you get hold of him and what he says or finds out. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I will let you know. He should call back but I will try him again in the morning. I am beginning to wonder about service men who fix your computer and then you turn around and have something else come up. Oh well, we shall get it fixed for it is a nice machine. Thank you for once again being there..

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Hello, I called this gentleman early this morning and left another message. He has not returned my call. Should we shut this down and keep it off until we find out what is going on with it. I was thinking that the fan running all the time may not be a good thing for a computer. If I do not get a return call today, I shall go to the shop and talk to him. Have a great day!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would just go to the shop and have it looked at due to the fact it hasn't worked right since you got it back so it is his responsibility to correct it.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Hello, The computer man, Ron, did call me back and he told us that the fan can run like that it won't hurt anything. He could order a fan from Dell which will cost $140.00 plus labor if we want but the fan running won't hurt the computer at all. Now, I have to wonder if he is right and just let it go or should I pay more money to get the fan replaced. A little advice here is more than welcome.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you tell me which fan it is that is running all the time because I have never heard of a 140 dollar fan in the 15 years I have been doing this.