Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using refilled ink cartridges

• Please log in to reply

Gemini566

Gemini566

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I am already aware that Lexmark do something, somehow, to prevent refilled cartridges being used in their printers. I have an X3650 all-in-one which uses the 36 black and 37 colour cartridges. So far, I have managed to refill and successfully print with the black cartridge by blocking sensors on the cartridge head with sellotape. I have tried the same on the colour cartridge but no luck there.

The situation right now is that I have a full black and a full colour cartridge in place; both added at the same time and both refilled. I should add here that only the 36A and 37A cartridges are refillable, to my knowledge, and those are the ones I am using. As I said, I changed them at the same time. The printer will not print.

I am sure there has to be a way of by-passing the block that Lexmark have in place. As far as I am aware, there is no Law that prevents a person choosing to use a refilled cartridge, but then, neither is it illegal for Lexmark to prevent one from doing so - though to be sure, it should be. It saves money and is good environmental sense to reduce the number of empty cartridges cluttering up the universe.

I am equally sure it is wrong of Lexmark to alter settings in my registry and for them to interfere with my PC without telling me first. Of course, had they advertized the fact they would be preventing the use of refilled cartridges with this printer, I would not have purchased it. As it is, I am stuck with it now and I really need to know how to get it working asap.

Any ideas?

I am good at following instructions, if they are clear and accurate.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well as I understand the situation, the cartridge chip has to be reset, before it will work.
The old idea of filling the cartridges yourself, ONLY EVER worked on the cartridges that did not have a chip

As regards taping this and that it is a non-starter.

Various places do supply pattern cartidges for your printer, of course as with the use of any cartridge except the genuine one it immediately invalidates the printer guarantee.

Insofar as the registry is concerned, I do not think that the chip on the cartridge, has any connection with the registry.

Of course any driver installed or any allied printer software is bound to alter the registry, otherwise it could not work.

Finally sorry you have waited a few days for a reply.