Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

my first build. advice?

• Please log in to reply

ahmadd0k

ahmadd0k

• Pip
  • 2 posts
okay so, am trying to build a computer for the first time, am not a gamer nor i edit videos & design stuff.. i just want to build a mid-range computer, i'll probably download NFS: the run but that's it.
but am thinking of getting into OC'ing & see how its like.

here are my components:

CASE: CoolerMaster HAF X 942 ( wanted the 600t white but couldn't find it here, & amazon shipping costs 89$ !!!!!!!!!! )
MoBo: GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD4
CPU: i5-2500K
RAM: corsair vengeance 8GB (4x2) 1600 (these don't show as compatible in the corsair website & the gigabyte website, but i asked the guy in the shop & he said it'll work fine, is he right?)
PSU: GIGABYTE odin pro 800w (due to lack of money, i wanted a corsair AX750 but its too expensive)
GRAPHICS: sapphire radeon HD 6870 (also, due to lack of money, i wanted a GTX 560 ti)
HDD: 1TB seagate caviar black
SSD: crucial M4 64GB boot drive (is 64 enough?)
CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster hyper 212+

& i guess that's it, i hope i was detailed enough.
& sorry for any newbie mistakes
any help/advice is highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

NKGuy

NKGuy

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
There is a chance it make work and there is a chance it may not. Why don't you go with a HAF 932 its also a good case and cheaper. Also a boot drive is just for booting. So games and applications will go on the HDD and the SSD will be for Windows and critical files 64 GB should be enough. Also the PSU is a lot for just one card even if you use two cards it is a bit extreme. Heck 650w would be fine for your current CPU and GPU. If you downgrade the GPU and Case it can give you a bit of leeway that may allow for a 6950 instead.

ahmadd0k

ahmadd0k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

There is a chance it make work and there is a chance it may not. Why don't you go with a HAF 932 its also a good case and cheaper. Also a boot drive is just for booting. So games and applications will go on the HDD and the SSD will be for Windows and critical files 64 GB should be enough. Also the PSU is a lot for just one card even if you use two cards it is a bit extreme. Heck 650w would be fine for your current CPU and GPU. If you downgrade the GPU and Case it can give you a bit of leeway that may allow for a 6950 instead.

the 942 is the only quality case i could find over here in dubai .. to be honest i dont like the HAF that much, but its the only thing i could find here.
& i know the 800w is overkill but its cheap & its semi modular so am thinking there's headroom for me if i wanted to crossfire or SLI in the future, so win win right?
i couldnt find the 6950 here so i have to order from amazon & their asking for 50-90$ international shipping!!!!!!!!
& why wont it work? :(

NKGuy

NKGuy

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hmm well if its all you can get than your going to have to stick to it.