Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 Hardrives, partition 1 of those & 2 OS per parti

• Please log in to reply

Impulz

Impulz

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Sorry for the wasted time in any one involved helping me out with the thread below :tazz:
(http://www.geekstogo...ion-t23795.html)

Forget all that and see if you can comprehend this one as its probbaly much easier to my knowledge and according to few tech guys, they say this is a quick and easy alternative. (not to me obviously, not educated enough ;) )

Below in the photo ive attached, is my currant Disc Drive Order.
Im running XP pro on the Seagate which i boot up from, and the WD is set as slave and is simply recognised as drive D:

Im trying to:

-Add a second partition to C: (the 127GB Seagate) preferably half (maybe 60GB)
-Than put xp pro on that new partition aswell
-Once accomplished, i want an option as to which of those 2 OP Systems i wish to boot into upon turning on my PC (its called a boot menu isnt it?)
-Leave the 40GB WD the way it is for data storage.

(If it has to come to reformatting, than thats no issue, as ive just done that and have all my stuff backed up + this is my experimental PC)

If someone could give me a step by step procedure on how to go about this, i will than print it out and go my best.

All help deeply appreciated:)

Pat.

Attached Thumbnails

• Currant_Disk_Drive_Layout.JPG

Advertisements

boob

boob

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
If I'm understanding your question correctly you want to set up a dual-boot using Windows XP. So, I would just use a program (such as Partition Magic) to set up the two partition on the hard drive that you wish to use (The Seagate I believe) and then install one OS on the first partition, then reboot your computer and install the other OS on partition two. Doing that SHOULD give you the option to set up your dual-boot and then everytime you reboot your computer you should be able to choose between the 2 OS's installed.

Post back and let me know how it works out for you.

Edited by boob, 03 June 2005 - 10:49 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I don't think he wants to wipe out his existing partition.

Partitiomagic will shrink the partition of the existing OS and allow you to do what you want, and you can also download

http://www.sysresccd.org/

the system rescue cd, which is a self booting linux distro with parted, on it, a linux partition magic clone.

Finally, if I can make a recommendation, go into diskmanagement and set the drive letter for the cd-roms to F and G, and then set the second harddrive to E: so that when you install the second OS to the second partition it will appear as D:

makes things more tidy

Impulz

Impulz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
So partiton magic will also allow the the multi-boot option after it createsa second partion?

Ive had a look around, partition magic 8.0 would do the job ok? or does any one think another version would be better?

Thank you for the excellent peiece of advice gerryf, ive changed teh drive letters around, will certainly make things more tidy...looks like this now.....

Will post back and comment on what partition magic was able to do.

Pat

Attached Thumbnails

• second_layout.JPG

Impulz

Impulz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Well after many attempts, ive finally managed to get things sorted and have a multi boot option upon boot up!

First of all Partition Magic 8.0 did the job of splitting my 160 GB in half as i was unsuccessful for some reason doing it on the windows blue screen when you insert your xp disc than reboot.

After a few screw arounds and a message popping up during boot up saying "xmnt 2002 program not found, skipping AUTOCHECK" i finally manage to format both partitions and installed both OS.

Thnx for everyone's help regardless!

PS - Just out of curiosity, why is that when you reformat, theres 8MB reserve on your harddrive that you cant wipe?
Are these bootable files that windows need? Id assumed that when you install windows from a disc all those types of files get automatically transferred?

Pat.