Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SSD is same as normal hard drive

• Please log in to reply

arf

arf

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I recently bought a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120 GB SATA III SSD. I tried installing on my fairly old system:

MSI p6n diamond
intel core 2 quad 6600

I see no difference in speed. Windows has same boot time, windows rating is the same for read-write speed.

My BIOS does not have a place to change to AHCI.

Is my motherboard simply not compatible with SSD technology?

Thanks for your input

Advertisements

NKGuy

NKGuy

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Well by the looks of it the board is a bit dated. So your basically hooking up SATA II to SATA III which is why you do not see much increase in performance. If your board were to support SATA III or the 6Gb/s then the speeds would become more apparent to you.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Also remember that the speed of which the controller operates matters as well. For example, my boards JMicron controller (raid controller) maxes out at about 110mb/s whereas the standard controller on the board maxes out at 170mb/s. If I have my SSD hooked to the JMicron, then it read/writes at 110mb/s. If I have it hooked to the standard controllers SATA ports, then it operates at 170mb/s.

Even some SATA II SSD's advertise read/write times of 200mb/s+, but depending on your motherboard, it may never reach it's potential. It's called a bottleneck.

My SSD is a SATA III and rates at 500mb/s but like I previously said, my SATA II controller maxes out at 170mb/s. So right now I'm trying to find a good excuse to drop another $300 on a board so I can reach that 500mb/s potential! :thumbsup:

Hope that helps. ;)

EDIT P.S. Also, you can't just change your BIOS to AHCI even if your BIOS allowed it as the system would just blue screen at boot time and vice versa if you change from AHCI to IDE. You have to choose that before you install windows. So remember to change that setting before installing Windows on your next motherboard or system.

Edited by Ferrari, 15 March 2012 - 09:56 PM.