Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

optical drive not reads CDs but not DVDs since windows 7 upgrade

• Please log in to reply

trainstripes

trainstripes

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi I have 2 laptops, a Gateway m-1625 and an HP dv6707us both of which originally came with Windows vista 32 bit. I recently put windows 7 32bit on them and now neither of the optical drives reads DVDs, they only read CDs. When I insert a DVD it spins up a tad, and you can hear the laser moving back and forth but it doesn't recognize it. When I click on the drive in Computer it just pops open and says insert a disk. I know the one from the gateway read DVDs when I used it in an XP laptop, but that is all I know firsthand. I was looking for a driver update from both companies and neither even has an optical drive. I also read about it but discovered there are no upper or lower filters to delete in the registry and then re-install the drives. Windows keeps installing a default driver for the drives but it seems to not work even when I run device manager as administrator. Can anyone help me fix this?

Advertisements