Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Inspiron 1525 not booting

• Please log in to reply

Katamaz

Katamaz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello guys. My inspiron isn't booting so I rand diagnostics by pressing Fn and power button. The num lock is flashing and other two lights stay still. I found out that this code means that i have to:
Enabling/configuring the dock
1. Reseating system in the dock.
2. Replacing the dock.
3. Replacing the system board

Maybe that's a silly question, but what is that dock? What i have to replace?
And sorry for my language, i am still learning english.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo
Please see page 20 on here
https://docs.google....prH6WVpCkEzU0Qg

NOT for your particular Inspiron - as of course we do not yet know which model of inspiron - sorry about that just realised its a 1525.

The hopefully simple explanation is that your computer is trying to boot from a device in the docking station. If you do not have anything inserted in there, there is then the slight possibility that someone or something has altered the Boot priority in the BIOS setup to take the hard drive out of the boot priority and replace that device with the docking station.

You need to check the boot priority, sometimes on some laptops the first post screen, if it is reaching that will tell you Boot device key and frequently it is F12

If you need further help please just ask.
IF it is NOT booting with any image on the screen whatsoever, then the problem may be more difficult to solve

NB. You are doing well with your English

Katamaz

Katamaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for your reply :) nothing comes on the screen, it's blank. when i try to turn it on fan spins for a sec and thats all... i hope motherboard isn't melted. Model of that inspiron is PP29L and it's made in Ireland.

eyetripoli

eyetripoli

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
You said that you were able to boot it to run diagnostics before. Are you not able to do that now? If so, at what point in the normal boot process does the screen go blank?

- Does the computer make it up to the windows loading screen?
- Does the computer fail at the BIOS screen?
- Does everything load in the BIOS and then the screen goes blank when windows is supposed to start loading?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
So using the information I sent you on the link, is there anything in the docking port slot.
Have a look at the link it tells you where it is - I found the page for you - page 20.

When did this problem occur and was the laptop OK before this or has there been a series of other problems leading to this.

Take the battery out. Disconnect the power supply.
HOLD DOWN the power button for a full 20 seconds.
Reconnect the mains power supply ONLY.
Press the power on button and is the result the same.

Check the laptop keyboard and ensure that a key is NOT stuck down.
Just tap each key to make sure.

Try again.

If the fans only spin for a second and then all power is apparently lost, you can presume that it is either
1. A power problem, either the external power supply or the internal circuits of the laptop
2. A motherboard problem

If the laptop has overheated, are the air vents blocked etc, has it previously been shutting down and then OMK again after leaving for a while, tbhis is the likely cause

If you can ensure the battery is charged, to eliminate the question of the laptop power supply itself, you can try battery only.
Of course this means that you would have to somehow make arrangements for the battery to be charged.
It is NOT I advise, worthwhile even thinking of a replacement Power supply and/or battery, as the porblem may of course NOT be those components.

Katamaz

Katamaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I was running diagnostics by pressing Fn and then power button. So the laptop don't have to boot at all. i don't know any previous history, because i've bought it like this. Guy who sold me said that the laptop is easy repairable, but i think that the motherboard is melted... Code shows that it should be docking station or something like that, but there isn't any connections for that...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

because i've bought it like this. Guy who sold me said that the laptop is easy repairable,

Please do not be offended, there is no other way to answer this other than

I am busy helping with problems, on computers that people own, and have developed problems.
I am therefore too busy to help with a computer that was bought in this state.

If I was in a quiet period, I may be willing to spend more time with you.

Depending on the nature of the purchase conditions, I suggest you ask him, if it so easily repairable, then what procedure does he recommend.

Without wishing to be sarcastic, do you not think that if it was easily repairable, he the seller, may have done so and then sold it as a working computer.

I can only suggest you follow the procedure in my post 5

Katamaz

Katamaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No worries Macboatmaster. I will bring this one to the repair shop. Thank you for your time. Good that you're trying to help any way.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You said that you were able to boot it to run diagnostics before. Are you not able to do that now? If so, at what point in the normal boot process does the screen go blank?

- Does the computer make it up to the windows loading screen?
- Does the computer fail at the BIOS screen?
- Does everything load in the BIOS and then the screen goes blank when windows is supposed to start loading?

Please answer the above questions and we may be able to help you.

Katamaz

Katamaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
phillpower2 laptop isn't booting at all. diagnostics runs without starting (i don't know how to explain). its just three lights flashing and thats how you know what should be wrong... laptop just spins fan for a sec and thats all, nothing more.

eyetripoli

eyetripoli

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

phillpower2 laptop isn't booting at all. diagnostics runs without starting (i don't know how to explain). its just three lights flashing and thats how you know what should be wrong... laptop just spins fan for a sec and thats all, nothing more.

Sorry, I'm just a bit confused because I don't seem to know the diagnostics mode that you are talking about. Are you referring to some diagnostics which show results over LEDs? As far as I remember, you access the dell diagnostics at the POST screen and the computer is on? If those are the diagnostics that you can run, how are you able to do that when you also say you cannot POST the computer?

~ieee

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Katamaz

As Fn and the power button start a simple diagnostic mode on the integral keyboard. A cause that may account for the result is RAM.

As my colleague eyetripoli has said the full diagnostics are started from the Dell Diagnostics and that requires you to access the hard drive by keying F12, as the diagnostics are on a hidden partition of the hard drive.

However the flashing number lock may just indicate the ram.

I should add here that it was the post from eyetripoli, that set me thinking about the DIAGNOSTICS you mentioned.

On that laptop you can access the ram from a panel of the base of the laptop
It is worthwhile trying, if there are two sticks of ram, removing one and seeing if that changes the situation.
Do you know how to do this or do you need further advice please.
It maybe shutting down, because of a bad ram stick

Please see memory on this link
http://support.dell....s.htm#wp1116017

Please do ensure that the power is disconnected and the battery removed. Press the power switch for 10 seconds after disconnecting and removing the battery and see the link for the advice on anti-static and removing the ram.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Katamaz
It is now some 15 days since your last reply
Would you kindly update your topic, as to progress on this problem.
Thank you