Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update KB2556532 repeating & Error Code 80004002 [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
These are the versions of .NET you have installed:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended

We need to do a repair install on each one in the order I have them listed. After each repair please reboot and try windows update.

Click Start >> Control Panel >> Uninstall a Program >> Click on each one >> Uninstall/Change >> Select Repair >> Next

Follow prompts to complete then reboot and try windows update.

Do these steps all three times and let me know the results.

Advertisements

sorrelwood

sorrelwood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Did each one. No luck each time. Still getting Error Code 80004002.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
sorrelwood,

I have tried every option we know to try to get Vista SP2 to update properly.

The final solution is an upgrade reinstall.

This process is described here.

Skip the stuff at the top of the page and go to Here's How:

There are several keys to success:

• Use a Vista 64 SP2 install disk. The article describes slipstreaming and sometimes it has worked and sometimes not. If you do not have or cannot borrow one it may be worth trying but it is not 100%.
  • Only try this in Normal Mode.
  • Do not activate Vista or input keys until you get to step 15.

And since this does not always work be prepared to execute a clean install, which will require you to backup all data and have install media and product keys for any software you have installed since you purchased the computer.

sorrelwood

sorrelwood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Bummer. I think doing all that is way over my head, plus I don't think I have a disc. My computer just came with it installed.

I just found this post, and it mentioned ASC Rescue. I have always thought ASC was the culprit, although I thought I ran ASC Resue during one of your posts (although I do not remember it asking for a date?). If you have any thoughts let me know.

Thanks for your help.
-------------------
http://answers.micro...bf37726b?page=2
"If you are running Advanced System Care, it will cause this issue. Go into ASC Rescue. Click on a date that was created when you know your computer was last updating normally, click on undo changes. 5 seconds after doing this my computer went from telling me that Windows cannot check for updates to Updates available. Hope this helps"

sorrelwood

sorrelwood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Another thing, when I run Windows Update Agent now, I get that it can't due to an "unrecoverable error".

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

ASC Rescue.

I saw this fix also but many of the fixes are shots in the dark.

The update files, fixits, reinstalling windows update, and repair installs are real solutions many times but in this case it was not. In my limited experience with this issue it is more prevalent with Vista then XP or Windows 7.

I did not ask for an ASC Rescue run. It is a possibility, because the real problem is likely several issues in the registry that have been corrupted and will only be all fixed in an upgrade reinstall.

Most folks do not have the disk but you may be able to borrow one from a friend, coworker, or IT at your place of work.

Beyond that you could go to a repair shop (typically a small shop and not the big box stores) and ask what it would cost to have them do an upgrade reinstall or to let you borrow the disk to do it yourself.

I do not know where you live but a computer club in your area may have these disks available but with strict criteria for use to insure no Microsoft property rights are circumvented.

Regards,

CompCav

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
You could also start a topic with Microsoft and they may have a more recent set of instructions to clear this issue for you and it would be free.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
The windows update agent run has had that error now twice during this thread.

sorrelwood

sorrelwood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
O.k. Thanks for all your help.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
You are welcome, I am sorry we could not help more.

Regards,

CompCav

Advertisements

sorrelwood

sorrelwood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
One last question. If I upgrade to Windows 7, do you think it will resolve the problem? Just looking into my options. I know you can't guarantee anything, but I wanted to know what my odds are.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Odds are good that it would resolve.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved (upgrade install) ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.