Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade or new build?

• Please log in to reply

Signal5

Signal5

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey All,

I'm a novice but looking to learn so I have some questions about my current rig I built about 2.5 years ago. Currently I am running Vista Ultimate on the following:

AMD Phenom x3 720 2.8GHz
Gigabyte 790 xt
8 Gb PC1600 RAM
1.5 TB Barracuda
Radeon 4800 HD

I don't do a ton of gaming but when I do, I like to have decent performance and settings. I'm not looking to play BF3 on Ultra and get 80 FPS but I don't want to have to turn the settings on games to low and 800x600 just to have a decent frame rate.

The video card obviously needs an upgrade but can I reasonably upgrade the CPU as well? I have found x4 and x6 processors (Deneb and Thuban) but I honestly do not know if it would be money well spent or if I should just do a new build with one of the new FX series CPUs on a new build. FWIW I checked and the Mobo claims to support the 6 core chips.

What do you guys and gals think?

P.S. Sorry if I left out any pertinent info

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Signal5Posted Image

What make and model is your current PSU?

What is your budget?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Unplug from the mains, take the case side panel off and see if you can read the info on the side of the PSU.

What make and model of case is it?

Signal5

Signal5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The PSU is a 700W Corsair (GS700) and the case is a a mid tower Smilodon.

As far as budget goes, I would place a limit at $1,000 US for upgrades or a new build.

Thanks in advance!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You have 8Gb of RAM, which is a decent amount. And you have a good PSU with plenty of head room. I think you should upgrade your graphics card, and see how you like that before upgrading your CPU. Remember, today's computing is very graphics oriented. The more capable your graphics card, the more your CPU can hand off graphics tasks. And it takes very little CPU horsepower to hand off tasks.

For the best use of your graphics card money see, http://www.tomshardw...view,3107.html' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Tom's Hardware Best Graphics Cards for the Money: March 2012.

$1000 is a decent budget, for sure. If it is burning a hole in your pocket, then certainly, a new CPU is an option. You did not post your motherboard specs or I would post a link to your motherboard's webpage where there should be a CPU QVL - a qualified vendor list of compatible CPUs. I suggest you check that out, then decide how you want to spend your money.

NKGuy

NKGuy

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
By the looks of your MOBO you could upgrade to a Phenom II X4 or X6 and upgrade your GPU. Or seeing as you have a $1000 limit you could invest into an i7 2600k along with a Z68 MOBO and a new video card. I mean it comes down to what is necessary use for this computer?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Agreed with Digerati.

With this PSU any single GPU using (up to 2 x 6+2-Pin)can be selected.
PSU specs. PCI-Express Connector 2 x 6+2-Pin. +3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V@56A, [email protected], [email protected]+3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V@56A, [email protected], [email protected]

Your Mobo, http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=3295#ov

What OS do you have? is it an OEM or Retail licence? This may influence whether you upgrade or build new.

Signal5

Signal5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Agreed with Digerati.

PSU specs. PCI-Express Connector 2 x 6+2-Pin. +3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V@56A, [email protected], [email protected]+3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V@56A, [email protected], [email protected]

What OS do you have? is it an OEM or Retail licence? This may influence whether you upgrade or build new.

Running Vista Ultimate OEM - looks like 7 Pro would eat 15% of a new build budget.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Is that 32bit or 64bit?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
In which country would you be buying in?

Advertisements

Signal5

Signal5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
62, USA

NKGuy

NKGuy

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Agreed with Digerati.

Running Vista Ultimate OEM - looks like 7 Pro would eat 15% of a new build budget.

Have you tried eBay? I have seen Windows 7 Ultimate brand new selling for $165 by top rated sellers. Sure its a bit more, but you will probably find a good deal on Vista Ultimate if you check.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

62, USA

64bit?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Which model Smiladon case do you have? Is it as stock or did you add any extra fans?

Signal5

Signal5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
64, yes, sorry.

Case has 4 fans all stock did not add any. Never any heat management issues, I don't OC.