Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

JoeH

JoeH

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello............ ;)

I use Outlook Express to access my emails on an IMAP server. The folder list in Outlook, in addition to showing the structure of (mail) folders on the server, and my personal computer, has a Local Folder listed within which are Inbox, Outbox, Sent Items, Deleted Items, and Drafts folders.

I thought that these are folders that are physically on my own computer...........a good place to archive old emails and get them off my server.

However I cannot find these folders anywhere on my computer, under Outlook Express, or anywhere else. Can anyone tell me where these folders actually are? :tazz:

Thanks!

Joe H.
[email protected]

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
Hey there.

Under Windows 2000, I'd bet the location is:

C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

If not, there's other possible locations. Keep in mind though, Application Data folder is hidden by default.

Good luck and let me know how that comes out.

JoeH

JoeH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
You are a genius! Very Interesting! Thanks! :tazz:

I have my viewing setting to show hidden files and folders..........
so wouldn't still I be able to see them?

If I search Windows for Outlook Express folders, one item that comes up is
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Identities\{BD68C394-64F1-467B-C402928FCDF3}-\Microsoft

When I look for it I can only see the folder with all the numbers/letters
but nothing below that (ie: can't see a Microsoft folder).

But if I then search for any of the other folders (that appear in Outlook
Express Local Folder), such as Inbox, Outbox, etc I can't find any of them,
but I do find a reference to that same folder
ie: C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Identities\{BD68C394-64F1-467B-C402928FCDF3}-\Microsoft\Outlook Express
and now it shows an Outlook Express folder below Microsoft, which makes sense, because the
Outbox folder is another level down from Outlook Express!

and there is a file for each folder, as for Outbox for example, like this Outbox.dbx

So the .dbx must be DataBaseSomething?

So I can't really "look at any of this stuff, right?

I was curious as to how much space the files take up, and got frustrated
when I couldn't find them.

The only way to access it is via Outlook Express?

Thanks a million!!

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
Basically, yes.

Outlook full stores your folders as a "pst" file. It doesn't store it as "Inbox", "Sent Items", etc. It can't be opened any other way that I'm aware of other than importing it into a mail program (or opening it in Outlook itself). Same with Outlook Express, which stores it's stuff as a "dbx" file. You could probably import it into OUtlook or Thunderbird, but I think you have to use a mail program (or a 3rd party app).

Also, instead of using the Windows search, I'd firmly suggest using the explorer to get to these files. It's just easier.

JoeH

JoeH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Gotcha!

Thanks again..have a great day.