Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP not powering down

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well if you have worked your way through ALL of that Microsoft link and its sub links and carried out the analysis to see if it still occurs in Clean boot and then enabling three or four at a time and the same with the startup items and YOU still have the problem - then I am sorry to tell you that I think it is a problem, that is ONLY ever going to be solved by either a complete reinstall and this time explore any apparent errors in the install, or it is a hardware problem.

Safe Mode loads only a minimal set of drivers and services. Unlike VGA mode it loads the generic windows graphics drivers, whereas VGA mode uses your installed graphics driver in VGA mode.

That may be a way forward - enter Control panel, Display, settings and reduce colours to 16 bit and say you are on 1200 x 1024 reduce.
Then try.

What was the result of the clean boot and the analysis.
IF you have not already done that - it is I am convinced AFTER the suggestions from my colleague the way forward
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

I feel the proof that this is the way forward is the success in Safe Mode.
Albeit that it may still transpire to be a fault not covered by the clean boot analysis, but due to the far less drivers and services loaded in Safe Mode and indeed the smaller demand on the power requirements.
IT MAY turn out to be a power issue.

Re Firefox it is on the HELP tab, as I mentioned

Go Firefox on that edtion I think you click the help tab and then configure Safe Mode NO add-ons - try that.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode is a special Firefox execution mode that can be used to troubleshoot issues in Firefox. In Safe Mode, you can reset some settings or disable add-ons that might be the source of the issue. By comparing Firefox behavior in normal mode to its behavior in Safe Mode, where various items are disabled, you may be able to diagnose issues.

Note: Windows users may be familiar with a Safe Mode for Windows. Firefox Safe Mode has no connection to Windows Safe Mode.
Table of Contents
How to start Firefox in Safe Mode

At the top of the Firefox windowOn the menu bar, click the Help menuFirefox button, go over to the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled.... Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog.
For Windows XP, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled...

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have posted separately so that you do not miss it
http://www.gsdbanner...viceManager.jpg

Uninstall the keyboard and mouse with the yellow exclamation marks.
Right click
click uninstall
Reboot.

and if it was not for the fact that you are sure you have killed ALL Zone alarm porcesses before shutting down
THAT Zone alarm - would be a very fair bet.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Colin Wray

As it is now 5 days since the last I was wondering how you went on.
Has it been possible to make any progress.

Colin Wray

Colin Wray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
My sincere apologies for missing the fact that we had moved on to a second page, and that I had only looked in the 'usual' right hand side for a page tab. Many thanks for the new suggestions which I will now try to work through. I confess I only made a start on the MS scheme of disabling groups of services, having scared myself with the number of things that stopped working.

Colin Wray

Colin Wray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I tried Firefox Safe mode to no avail.
I uninstalled the PS2 mouse and keyboard, but they are re-installed by the boot process.

I have performed the clean boot checks - a protracted process due to it being a switch-off problem, eg: everything has to be done twice, and I have to guess how long to leave it before killing the power. Anyway, it never went off by itself at any stage.
However, there was a persistent error message:
"An access denied error while attempting to change a service" - it went on to say I should become an administrator (which I am).
I tried re-enabling the services one by one but no single re-permit stopped this error message, so I ignored it and went for the shutdown again with all the non-MS services disabled.

Maybe I should try uninstalling/reinstalling all the drivers one by one ?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1.As you are using XP Pro
Boot to the system administrator account
see if it shuts down from that account please

At the logon screen press ctrl+alt+del twice, a dialog box will appear .Type in username as"administrator" and leave the password blank and key enter

By default the system admin account has no password. So unless you set one when you installed it is blank.

It is NOT the password on the User account with admin rights that you have established.

2. Please send me the URL of Speccy
http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web

Download and run the FREE edition please.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Also a thought to help you guys out... I've had quite a few times where replacing the PSU has fixed a computer not shutting itself down properly. :thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm Troy may be on to something here. :whistling:
Was your PSU replaced with the build or was it the original PSU?
Can you tell us the make and model of your PSU please.
Just for curiosity sake can you do the following please.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Colin Wray

Colin Wray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I couldn't find how to add an attachment, so put speed fan image here:
http://www.gsdbanner...eedFanImage.JPG
The Speccy filename is: U5LqYQ7vE28Wc2TVerFbdVp
Logged in as administrator (interesting) - only a few of my apps were included on the desktop.
Didn't help the switch-off.
Tried killing most of the processes before turn-off, Avast cannot be killed, otherwise no help.

The PSU was swapped just before the motherboard. The (assumed faulty) motherboard started switching off occasionally, and progressed to the point where it would only stay on for 10 seconds. The replacement motherboard re-booted many times ok during the re-build, but I didn't record the actions just prior to it ceasing to do this.

I see that Speccy is reporting a PS2 keyboard I don't have. Why do the drivers re-install themselves ?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Please read the Speccy instructions on the link I sent you.
Post the URL that is the address that appears on the address bar of the browser when you have the results.

2. Screenshot - the instructions from my colleague rshaffer61 on how to post a screenshot are in his post.

We cannot obtain the Speccy results from the details you sent and I know we can open your image, but please do not think I am being awkward, but can you imagine the number of files we would have to open if, all was sent as attachments, that is why we are forced to ask for screenshots

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't see the specs on the PSU but the speedfan image shows everything working fine.
That doesn't mean the PSU is under powered but I will wait for the PSU specs to decide on that.
Make sure you include brand, model and total wattage of the PSU in your reply. :thumbsup:

Colin Wray

Colin Wray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
rshaffer61: Getting inside the box involves a bit of a 'drains up' here, so I'll have to postpone that for a while.

Macboatmaster: I deliberately omitted the 'http://speccy.piriform.com/results/' from the url to avoid posting a link everyone can click on, knowing that you would not be fooled. I'm afraid I don't understand your comments about the screenshot which rshaffer61 had no problem viewing, I just cannot see how to add an attachment to these replies - I expect I am being very dumb.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How to attach a file:

• Look below the Fast Reply box at the bottom of this page, click on Use Full Editor button.
  • Scroll down and click on the Browse button.
  • Click on Desktop found in left pane.
  • Scroll to find the image saved to Desktop and click on the image.
  • Click the Open button.
  • Click the Attach This File button.
  • Click Add Reply button and that will attach the file to your next post.

Colin Wray

Colin Wray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK, thanks, here it is then.

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFanImage.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good job Colin. Now we need to try another program to just verify the readings and hopefully show us some other readings that Speedfan did not show us.

Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)
HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature.