Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP not powering down

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Colin Wray

1. Just for information the system admin account is established by default when XP is installed.
Once you establish a user account with Admin rights the system account is never used again, in usual day to day operations.
The reason you only saw some of the desktop items is becuase a\ll that was loaded was the defaults for the account.

Not connected at all with your current problem, but again only for information.
If you are in an environment where you wish to ensure that NO ONE has access without a password then, as you now know you must allocate a password to the system admin account, as that account as ALL rights and permissions.
The downside for want of a better word, is that if of course you ever forget that password, you cannot then access the system account.

The reason I asked you to check, was just to ensure that it did make no difference, albeit I could not imagine it would, as you had already tried a new account.

2. Do not worry please about the screenshot, it is just that, it is so much easier to see and use whilst on the post.
I am sorry you did not follow what I was saying. I was simply trying to tell you that my colleague had incluced the instructions, using Paint.

3. Does this problem of shutdown ALWAYS OCCUR or only most of the time

AND if it shuts down correctly, does it then start and load perfectly, every time it shuts down OK

So is a failure to shutdown EVER followed by a failure to load

and is the restart failure EVERY TIME or only most of the times.

Advertisements

Colin Wray

Colin Wray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Never ever switches off from normal mode, and does not restart (most annoying of the two options).
Has not had any problem after switch-on (touch wood).
Here is the HWMonitor screen shot, and the SpeedFan (not sure if I did it right last time):

Attached Thumbnails

• HWMonitorImage.JPG
  • SpeedFanImage.JPG

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
8.87 and 11.4 are the voltages being reported by the programs for the +12V rail on the PSU. What does the BIOS report the voltages as please? Also are you able to test by swapping in another PSU? Doesn't necessarily have to be a new one, just known to be working good. You could perhaps try one from another computer you may have or be able to borrow from family/friends?

EDIT: Actually Speedfan is reporting 2x +12V Rails... interesting.

Colin Wray

Colin Wray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'll put a DVM on it tomorrrow, could even 'scope it if you like.
Are we losing sight of the fact that it turns off every time no problem from Safe Mode ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not losing sight Colin but checking the variables first. In Safe Mode there are Generic drivers which may be allowing it to shutdown correctly. If that is the fault then we would have to look at a possible driver causing the issue.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Are we losing sight of the fact that it turns off every time no problem from Safe Mode ?

No not at all, if it's not too difficult for you to achieve I think it would be worth the attempt. It may not work but then we would know for sure either way.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Troy

Actually Speedfan is reporting 2x +12V Rails... interesting.

I raised a related issue puzzling as to why there is no -volt reading reported.

Only an idea is it worthwhile obtaining a report from both speedfan and HW monitor in Safe Mode, including of course your request for the BIOS voltage readings

Colin Wray
1. Speccy tells me that the keyboard and mouse you have are connected USB.
It is a long shot, but do you have a PS2 port keyboard and mouse, which you could try - ONE at a time. ie: PS2 mouse and then PS2 keyboard

I am sure you know, but it is in a situation like this extremely important that you test ONLY one possible cause at a time, otherwise we will not know, if we are lucky enough to find a solution, which was the cause.

2. Would you also try it please with the Printers disconnected.

3. Another point which I do NOT think we have covered is, we know it works in SAFE MODE, does it also work in Safe Mode WITH networking.

Colin Wray

Colin Wray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
WOW, it just switched off, we are onto something !! From the beginning: (typed on my laptop blow-by-blow)
PSU: WinPower ATX500
BIOS: 1950rpm, 1298rpm, 1.200v, 3.264v, 5.088v, 11.98v
Decided to pull all usb cables (I can put them back one by one), fitted known good PS2 kbd+mouse,
Keyboard OK but mouse not working. Rebooted using winkey - SUCCESS, it went off.
Refitted USB Mouse, only direct rather than via a hub.
Noted DevManager "Human Interface Devices" now has single entry.
Refitted USB keyboard (this never has used the hub).
Noted the "Human Interface Devices" list now has 2xkbd, 1xmouse, 1xunknown again as before.
Reboot and switch-off still ok.
Reconnected the hub, now with no active devices, still goes off OK.
Moved the mouse back to the hub where it has been for 5 years (the cable is too short to go direct).
Still going off OK - what is left ? The only other active device is the Skype/Skypemate B2K Telbox.
This device has been around for many years, and it is absolutely brilliant - if someone calls me on Skype all my house phones ring, and I can make and receive skype calls sitting in the garden.
Plugged it back in (no idea whether it is in the same USB socket as before).
Rebooted, Skype said it had found it again. - switched off OK yet again.
Two cables remain - a switched-off new printer that arrived long after this problem, and a Belkin F5U103 USB-Serial convertor, I haven't used it lately and guess what - it has a red light instead of a green one.
YES, this is the problem !!!
Interestingly pulling the cable didn't help at the end of the switch-off, but not connecting it certainly cures the problem.

Well Gentlemen, I am really, really grateful to you for pursuing this to the bitter end, and forcing me to jump through so many hoops. Many thanks again.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well YOU are to be congratulated for your perseverance in staying with it

You could try
http://en-us-support...apter---drivers

and see if uninstalling and reinstalling then allows it to continue switching off.
It has been a pleasure to work with you and I am sure my colleagues will also post.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good job guys and glad to see you have made great strides in resolving the issue.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Wow that's a great result. :D

I had a different problem with a similar resolution... Randomly my computer would consistently give me a popup message "A USB device has malfunctioned blah blah" and it turned out to be the USB data cable for my backup hard drive. Now consider that I plug the backup hard drive in, run a backup, and remove the drive - but I always left the cable connected to the computer. If there's no drive plugged in, what does it matter? But it did matter! I cut the cable in half and threw it away as I had a spare. It was a baffling one, that's for sure.