Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pagenotfound.co [Closed] [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Try disabling Ad-Aware Security Toolbar and seeing if you still get those pagenotfound.co.uk problems:

Open Internet Explorer, click the tools pulldown, choose "Manage Add-Ons". Find "Ad-Aware Security Toolbar" in the list, and highlight it, then click the Disable button. Close the management window, restart Internet Explorer, and see if you still have problems. If not, then the issue was indeed Ad-Aware.

As you pointed out, the problem isn't just you, and appears to have much to do with Ad-Aware itself.

Let me know how it turns out. :)

Advertisements

Tracey Lowndes

Tracey Lowndes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Well, I checked Manage Add-ons and the Ad-aware toolbar is already disabled!

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
I'll see if I can come up with another method of finding out why it's using that particular page, rather than the standard 'broken image' icon or similar. It seems to me that those pages are being blocked intentionally by something, and Ad-Aware is the common theme.

In the meantime, since you're using the free Ad-Aware, you could try uninstalling it as a test. It can always be re-installed afterward.

I'll get back with you on alternative (to what we've tried so far) methods of figuring out which program is blocking with pagenotfound. Please let me know if you decide to try testing Ad-Aware's involvement via uninstalling, and whether or not it worked.

Tracey Lowndes

Tracey Lowndes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks for the reply. I'll uninstall Ad-aware (including the IE toolbar), and tell you if that solved the problem.

Tracey Lowndes

Tracey Lowndes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Sorry, I've not done anything at at all (partly my own fault)! Unfortunately I'm going away tomorrow for 1 week, but I'll deal with everything when I return, OK?

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Sure, that's fine. We might even take another angle by then, but we'll see. Let me know when you're back!

Tracey Lowndes

Tracey Lowndes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I'm back - I returned on Thursday. I'll do my jobs soon, OK?

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Ok. :)

Do make sure that in addition to removing Ad-Aware for this test, you remove any toolbars or other safe-surfing software that installed with it.

I look forward to the results!

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Re-opened at user's request

Advertisements

Tracey Lowndes

Tracey Lowndes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Okay, here's an update!

Well, I've finally removed Ad-aware and the associated IE toolbar from my computer and replaced it with the free version of Malwarebytes.

I've also upgraded Adobe Reader, as you advised, and some other software.

And there's something I should have mentioned when I started this topic. For some months, AVG has notified me of high memory usage in IE. I didn't mention this because I thought it was related to Ad-aware, however, a Google search has indicated that the notification has nothing to do with my problem, but if you would like to discuss the matter further, let me know!

I don't know whether pagenotfound.co has gone, as I only uninstalled Ad-aware yesterday.

So what happens next?

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Ok, as far as your initial problem is concerned, we should wait at least 24 hours and see if you still get redirects. If you do, then I dig (a lot) deeper, which will likely take quite a while.

Hearing that IE is using a lot of memory during normal use isn't that surprising, really. In a browser, that will increase with the content in a page. For instance, a lot of Flash content, Java applets, or things of that nature will increase the amount of memory used until the page is closed or you browse to another, lower-load site, such as Google's homepage.

The XP machine we're dealing with is a bit older and a bit low on RAM, so again, not really all that surprising.

Let me know by tomorrow if you can whether or not you're still getting redirects, and we'll go from there.

Tracey Lowndes

Tracey Lowndes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Update!

I've been on one of the sites that had a problem with pagenotfound.co, and I THINK the problem has gone. I haven't checked any of the other sites, however. So I may be speaking too soon, but I HOPE the problem has gone away.

So what next?

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
If the initial problem is gone, then there's nothing left. ;)

You've updated the software that was out of date, and nothing malicious was spotted, nor were you having malicious symptoms, so I think you're in good shape.

Here's a last bit of instruction to clean up the utilities we used:

Run OTL
  • Then click the Clean Up button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered; it will reboot the PC when it is done
Delete aswMBR.exe from your desktop (or wherever you saved it).

Would you like to touch on the other laptop now, or start a new topic for that one when you have time?

Tracey Lowndes

Tracey Lowndes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I ran OTL as you instructed, but then it stopped at "Processing [deleteself]....", so I had to close it. I did a Google search on a Mac, and it seems I can delete it manually. Shall I do that? Also what about aswMBR.exe, do I delete that manually as well?