Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pagenotfound.co [Closed] [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
More than likely, you'll find it's already gone; often the "click to reboot" button that appears when it's finished will be behind other windows, and you'd have to alt-tab to see it. Once it's at the deleteself step, it's done pretty much everything it was supposed to do during a cleanup process.

You can remove OTL.exe by hand if you like, and yes, you can remove aswMBR.exe by hand as I indicated. :)

Advertisements

Tracey Lowndes

Tracey Lowndes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
OK, I ran OTL again and this time found the reboot button! I clicked it, the laptop rebooted and when Windows started up again, OTL and its associated files were gone. Then I deleted aswMBR.exe by hand. So both programs are gone now.

You asked whether I wanted to touch the other laptop or start a new topic when I had time. Well, I suppose it will have to be the latter because I am going away next Monday for two weeks.

In the meantime, I have several questions.

1. How serious was the pagenotfound.co problem?

2. Were my passwords and confidential files compromised?

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
I would say the pagenotfound.co issue was not serious at all, given that it was apparently caused by Ad-Aware's toolbar, which isn't a hostile program.

Because nothing else was noted wrong with the machine from a malicious point of view, I don't believe any of your data was compromised at all. I think this issue was simply an oops on the part of Ad-Aware's toolbar programmers, and nothing serious.

If you're happy then, I'll go ahead and close the topic, and you can start a fresh one in a few weeks for the other laptop, when you're prepared. :)

Tracey Lowndes

Tracey Lowndes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Just to check, I don't have to change my passwords?

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
As far as I can tell, you didn't have any infection at all. The issue with pagenotfound was apparently part of Ad-Aware, not part of anything malicious.

If you feel that changing your passwords would give you some peace of mind, by all means go ahead and do so. It's not a bad idea to change passwords once in a while anyway.

Tracey Lowndes

Tracey Lowndes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok, thanks.

As for this topic, you can close it and I'll start another topic later when I come back, though I don't know if I'll still be dealing with you!

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Who knows. :) Happy trails!

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.