Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe application error

• Please log in to reply

Mommiecookie

Mommiecookie

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi
I've been all over the internet trying to figure out why I'm getting this error. There are no icons on my screen but I can get to the task manager. I cannot however get icons in safe mode, I get the same error message. I downloaded hijackthis but cannot find it because I dont have icons on desktop. Please help, I have a deadline and I need this laptop. Note: Laptop did not come with disc.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
:welcome: Mommiecookie

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

How to do a Repair installation of Xp - tutorial courtesy of Admin http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/
You will need an Xp installation disk.

Mommiecookie

Mommiecookie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Can I burn the cd from another computer?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Yes :thumbsup:

Mommiecookie

Mommiecookie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i put in the cd, have blue screen, hit enter.....then it says "setup cannot find End User Licenxing Agreement <EULA>. What's next?
btw thank you for helping.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Have you read the tutorial http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

Mommiecookie

Mommiecookie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes, I've read everything. Following instructions to the letter. Did it 3 times, same message - Cannot find end user licensing agreement...Set up cannot continue
Help!

Mommiecookie

Mommiecookie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I've burned the cd 3 times always accepting agreement. Seems like it does not read it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Try the recovery console option http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Mommiecookie

Mommiecookie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
This is very confusing...I have no idea what to repair there are so many options. the link does not give enough info.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
I understand that this is confusing and some of the suggestions may be too much for some members.

Option 1: If you have already installed the Recovery Console;

If you have already installed the Recovery Console, you can select it during your usual Windows Startup.
To run the Recovery Console:
1.During Startup, select Recovery Console from the startup options menu.
2.If you have a dual-boot or multiboot system, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
3.When you are prompted, type the Administrator password.
4.At the command prompt, type Recovery Console commands, and then you can refer to the commands that are listed in the "Available commands within Windows Recovery Console" section.
5.At any time, you can type Help for a list of available commands.
6.At any time, you can type Help commandname for help on a specific command.For example, you can type help attrib to display the help on the attributes command.
7.At any time, you can exit Windows Recovery Console by typing Exit at the command line.

Another thing you can do is run chkdsk

Go to Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Thanks to RonShaffer61 for the above instructions. :thumbsup:

Mommiecookie

Mommiecookie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Running Chkdsk /r now. Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Ok I will look out for an update and good luck.

Mommiecookie

Mommiecookie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi ran chkdsk...it fixed two things. Rebooted computer, explorer.exe message did notcome up but I still do not have anything on the desktop. Please advise next step.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Couple of questions for you, it would be helpful if you know the answers but not the end of the world if you do not;
1: Had you been having any other issues (hardware - software - malware) leading up to this.
2: What is the capacity of the HDD.
3: Was the HDD formatted using FAT32 or NTFS (FAT32 can cause the EULA problem).
4: Had you changed or added any user accounts right before this started.

When you next try booting up can you press the Ctrl - Alt - Del keys a couple of times and let us know if there is any change.