Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Repair Windows Installer - Status.msi

• Please log in to reply

LJMcCormick

LJMcCormick

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Running XP Home SP3 on Dell 5150 when I began experiencing Windows Installer problem looking for a "status.msi" file in an installation pkg that does not exist on my harddrive nor any of my CD's. I expect an internet update download from HP failed and I keep getting this popup from windows installer to locate the file. The only way I can get rid of it is thru the task manager to end the "Status" program but it comes right back after a resart of the computer.

Any ideas on how to correct this problem would be appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi LJMcCormick
Is Xp fully up to date, check @ http://www.update.mi...t.aspx?ln=en-us
Let us know how you get on.

LJMcCormick

LJMcCormick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hi Philpower2,

Yes, I doubled checked and downloaded latest security update this morning.

LJM

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi

Do you have a valid XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC - Which stands for System File Checker retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the above instructions :thumbsup:

As an added thought have you tried reverting the computer back to a restore point before this started occurring?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

LJMcCormick

LJMcCormick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hi Philpower2,

Cannot locate XP CD, purchased Dell computer six years ago from Dell. Also cannot restore to previous date, when doing so windows appears to do a restore but when it finishes it says it could not restore and no changes were made to computer.

Any other suggestions?

LJM

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi LJM

Try running SFC (system file checker) see canned speech below;

Go to Start and then Run then type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions :thumbsup:

LJMcCormick

LJMcCormick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hi Philpower2,

You do realize that I do not have an XP installation CD? Do you still want me to do the changes to the registry you suggested above?

LJM

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
The instructions Phil has provided are designed to allow xp users to run sfc /scannow without a xp disk. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

The instructions Phil has provided are designed to allow xp users to run sfc /scannow without a xp disk. :)

The above is correct - thanks for confirming rockmilk :thumbsup:

LJMcCormick

LJMcCormick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hi All,

The settings in the registry for "Sourcepath" were already set to C: so I closed the registry and ran sfc /scannow. After it completed I restarted the computer and the same problem remains. The popup window that appears after window installer searches for a "status.msi" file says it can't find it on CD-ROM drive at location "1".

I sure hope you can tell me how to get rid of this problem.

LJM

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Couple of questions for you 1: What device is your computer set up to boot from first DVD/CD or HDD 2: Do you have a disk in the DVD/CD drive?

LJMcCormick

LJMcCormick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hi Philpower2,

Computer is set to boot from DVD/CD then Harddrive 0.
No DVD/CD in DVD-ROM drive E: or DVD-RW drive F:
I have a second physical harddrive D: that I use for backup. Boot drive is C:

ps:

For your information, I do have System Mechanic installed on this computer if that is any help.

LJM

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Change your boot sequence in the BIOS so that the boot drive C: is first please and see how this goes, we can then look at tidying up any stray leftover files that may be causing this.

LJMcCormick

LJMcCormick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hi Philpower2,

I was in error before, the BIOS was set to boot first from floppy drive and I changed the boot order to 1. Sata harddrive, 2. DVD/CD ROM drive, etc.. Restarted and still have original problem.

Please advise.

LJM

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Next suggestion is to tidy up the data on your HDD so please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
6: Attach to your next reply.

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/ do this at least once a week in the future, a tidy drive is a faster more stable drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service at any link.