Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Search Indexer goes crazy after running CCleaner

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I've noticed lately that after I run CCleaner, the SearchFilterHost, SearchIndexer and SearchProtocolHost get activated and run for quite some time. Are they related, or is it just a co-incidence? Is this anything I should be concerned about? What could I check or un-check in CCleaner to prevent this?

OS is Windows 7 64 bit

Advertisements

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

I don't think there is anything to worry about with those two processes.

The two processes are there to index and catalogue files on the HDD. when you run CCleaner, it will delete a load of files that would have been indexed and as such corrupts the index. As a result the index will need to be rebuilt and Windows will run those services to achieve this.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Thank you for enlightening me on the Index processes, risingphoenix. It's just like for 2 hours the HD light is on and making that chattering sound. I find it annoying when it's doing it.

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
No Problem. If the noise gets too much, you may want to consider stopping the indexing service.

Your searches would be slower, but the drive would be quieter.

I'm guessing that you have a Maxtor. I was convinced that my last 3 Maxtor drives had some sort of diesel generator powering them. I switched to Western Digital drives and I am stunned by how quiet they are.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Can you tell from this screen shot what my HD is?

Attached Thumbnails

• speccy.jpg

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Yes I can and it is a surprise indeed. Your PC is using a Samsung drive.