Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Wont start: Process Initialization Failed

• Please log in to reply

MikeS71

MikeS71

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Last night my PC was working just fine, went to play game for a bit and the game loaded and played but no sound. I tried restarting the computer and now it wont come on. It goes to a blue screen momentarily which says

"Process Initialization Failed" Followed by a message saying to check any newly installed hardware or software is properly installed, try disabling bios memory options such as cache or shadowing, or boot into safe mode.

Technical Inofrmation: STOP: 0x0000006B (0x0000000000000000, 0x00000000000000000)

The does a Crash Dump of the Physical MEmory.

I have not installed any new hardware or software in the past few days and as I said, it was working fine yesterday until the issue last night. I tried a Windows Repair, Repair install using the original Windows 7 disk and this fails. I did the memory check option in the repair menu and that came back ok.

PLEASE HELP!!

System Specs:

Windows 7 64bit
Gigabyte Mobo
Intel i5 2500
16G RAM (4x4)
Nvidia GTX 580
WD Caviar Black HD

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi MikeS71
You may have had a failed Windows update, try a restore point to before this occurred, http://www.sevenforu...ions.html?ltr=A may help.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks Phil, just tried it and no good

When selecting "advanced, last known good config" it goes to the same blue screen message

Also tried booting into safe mode with the same result

When I try the repair install and it gives me the option to select a restore point it says that there aren't any.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This may help HERE

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

This may help HERE

This is definitely the issue, before I do anything I want to make sure I dont screw anything up worse. In the article it says to apply SP1 or do a "workaround" by deleting the cache file. My questions:

If I cant get the system to come on how do I get and apply SP1?
If I do the workaround and delete the cache file will I have to recreate it or would that be done automatically?

Should I do the workaround and if able to get into Windows then d/l and apply SP1? The version of W7 I have does include SP1, is it possible this is corrupted somehow and I should reapply it?

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

If I do the workaround and delete the cache file will I have to recreate it or would that be done automatically?

Yes delete the file and then it will be recreated hopefully correctly and that should resolve the issue. Immediately after getting back into windows then get the SP1 for Win7 installed. This should stop the issue from happening again.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
So I use the Windows Install disk to get into System Recovery Options, do I then go into command prompt in order to delete the cache file? If thats correct what is the command to delete it...

Sorry, I am a noob when it comes to this!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you know DOS you will need to go into %SystemRoot%\system32\codeintegrity and then delete the file.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge in this but...

I can get into the command prompt, change to the C:, but what is the exact command to change the directory?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
cd %SystemRoot%
Enter
cd system32
Enter
cd codeintegrity
Enter

From there you will type del Bootcat.cache
Enter and then type in Exit
This should reboot the system and if all goes right it will recreate the folder on reboot.

Advertisements

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
after entering cd %systemroot% it gives a fresh C:\> then I enter cd system32 and get "The System Cannot find the path specified"

Played around a bit, went back to the x: and tried the series... when I enter systemroot prompt goes to x:\windows> then when I enter system 32 it goes to x:\windows\system32> then when I enter codeintegrity it goes to x:\Windows\System32\CodeIntegrity but when I enter del Bootcat.cache I get "Could not find x:\Windows\System32\CodeIntegrity\Bootcat.cache

When I try the commands in the C: prompt I get nothing. I enter cd %systemroot% and it just goes to a C:> prompt

Edited by MikeS71, 17 March 2012 - 11:37 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok replace the first one with cd windows
Then see if it changes to the Windows directory. If done right your prompt should say C:\Windows and then add to it as you put in the next command

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
When entering cd windows at c:\> I get "The system cannot find the path specified"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok wait you are booting to thew cd right?
First off type in C:\
Do you get a C prompt then?

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I did not boot through the CD this time, it booted, said there was a problem with previous boot and asked if I wanted to start normally or allow it to repair, I chose repair, it failed, then I went into "system recover options" which gives me "Command Prompt" as a choice. Selecting that takes me into the Command Prompt window with X:\windows\system32> as the opening prompt. Form there I enter C: which then gives me the C:\> Prompt then I enter cd windows and get "The system cannot find the path specified"