Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Wont start: Process Initialization Failed

• Please log in to reply

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ok, here we go... please help me understand this...

I installed a BRAND NEW harddrive, did a clean install of Windows. Have installed: Chipset Drivers, Audio Drivers, Nvidia Driver and thats it. The only hardware connected is the Mouse, Keyboard, and Modem... Have been getting Windows Updates, got several rounds of them... just got a set of 5 and when doing the restart, got the error- system can;t start, need to do repair, attempting repair and it fails... I'm going CRAZY

Advertisements

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
The only thing thats new on the computer is the Comcast Modem, it was installed 5 days before the original issue occurred... Now, it is the only thing that is connected. Is that a possibility?

EDIT: Using the Windows disk, I was able to boot into Windows, though it has removed the Nvidia Driver. Could that be whats causing the issue?

Edited by MikeS71, 20 March 2012 - 04:13 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Could be the Nvidia driver but to check disconnect the modem from the system and try to boot again.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I was able to access the old drive and get the important files onto a flash drive, so that at least is resolved!!

I tried rebooting a couple times with the modem still connected but the driver removed and it seems ok. Have installed a couple more Windows updates and restarted and still ok. I'm going to keep looking for and installing the 237582345 Windows updates until it cant find anymore, at that point I'll reinstall an older version of Nvidia Driver and see what happens.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Better yet when you are done with everything but the Nvidia driver then try this below to check for that driver.

Download DriverMax and have it scan your system. It will open their website with all the out of date drivers you can update. With the free version you can update only 2 drivers per day so if you have a lot of them it will take a few days to get everything updated. I have been using it for about 4 months now and like it better then any other utility out there for keeping my drivers up to date.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks for the link, I will check it out. Here is where I'm at... I installed an older Nvidia Driver (285) and things seem stable. Reviewing the Windows update log there was 1 update that failed to install, not sure if it was the one that coincided with the more recent issue but it was close on the time. So far so good though, Havent installed too many programs as yet, adding them back in slowly. Will post up the progress but so far it looks good.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Reviewing the Windows update log there was 1 update that failed to install, not sure if it was the one that coincided with the more recent issue but it was close on the time.

I would say that is a good guess. By chance was it the video driver that failed to install?
Drivermax will find the NEWEST driver out there and download it for you from the most logical place which in most cases will be straight from the manufacturer. This will guarantee it is not corrupted.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 14 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.