Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk read error and recovery disc not working?

• Please log in to reply

TheTigers07

TheTigers07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've managed to get on using puppy but at the bottom left hand corner there is no icon to display the laptop's hard drive. Does this mean that the hard drive is defective and that it just needs replacing?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I was just about to press the big switch when got the notification of your post - please see the large image on the Puppy guide.
the puppy desktop
MOUNT -

If it does not then appear as shown, indeed it means it cannot be seen

Proceed as per my later post - remove and connect to other computer OR ascertain if Seatools can see it.
That will require another CD as I do not think you have a floppy drive.
If the laptop has been jarred - check the drive connection., However that would be less likely than if it has been jarred or knocked whilst the drive was running and the read write head may well have crashed on the platters (Disc) and that is BYE BYE hard drive.
Read write head - the arm.
Platters the disc.
Gap between - micro.

Goodnight back about 1800

TheTigers07

TheTigers07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have tried removing the hard drive and putting it into my acer but it did not boot up, the acer kept trying to boot but then just powering down and restarting again. I ran seatools on the laptop but that could not see the hard drive so I am guessing that is dead.

I am looking at buying a new hard drive for it it. If I were to do this would I have to buy the same part or are there other, better and possibly cheaper hard drives available that would fit into the toshiba and run correctly? Also how would I go about getting windows seven onto the new hard drive?

Thanks for the help.

TheTigers07

TheTigers07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
So putting the hard drive into my acer and trying to boot up seems to have done something to the hard drive. It is now recognised when I load up puppy and seatools. I have looked through and some files are there but others appear to be missing, because the USB slots don't work I can't copy the files I want either. Is there some sort of disk anlysis that puppy can run?

I've also noticed that when I try to mount one of the partitions I get the following message:

NTFS WARNING

The ntfs-3g driver was unable to mount the NTFS partition and returned this error message:
Failed to write lock '/dev/sda(1,2 or 3)': Resource temporarily unavailable
Error opening '/dev/sda(1,2 or 3): Resource temporarily unavailable
Failed to mount '/dev/sda(1,2 or 3): Resource temporarily unavailable

So, the inbuilt kernel NTFS driver has been used to mount the partition read-only.

Edited by TheTigers07, 18 March 2012 - 12:52 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am confused.
You are not putting the drive from the Toshinda in your Acer.
It would not boot the Acer even if it was OK
You are connecting it to the Acer, in an enclosure - to USB and then seeing if you can access it.
If you can, you then get your data of the drive.
AND as I said run an chkdsk on it.
As I said on my post 9.

Alternatively you can remove the hard drive, place it in a hard drive enclosure or docking station and connect it to your Acer and see if it is accessible, if so you can get your personal data off and then run a chkdsk on it .

If you can open the drive in Puppy, you can get your data that way, but of course with no usb you would have to use a DVD/CD

Also have you checked if the USB works, it may do in Puppy although it did not in Windows.

TheTigers07

TheTigers07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have tried to get the data by burning a CD but I am struggling with understanding how to get the files from the hard drive onto the list to burn the CD. Do you think it is worth buying a external usb hard drive enclosure if so would this one be suitable? http://www.pcworld.c...928752-pdt.html

If I have to go down the route of buying a new hard drive how would I go about getting windows 7 on it? Nowadays the laptops don't come with a disc with windows on so I have no way of reinstalling the windows seven onto the laptop.

Thanks again!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its the dvd drive

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for

HOW to copy to for burning to DVD.

Have you checked if the usb ports work - see my last post

Also have you checked if the USB works, it may do in Puppy although it did not in Windows.

Re the enclosure - will you be visiting the store, if so take the drive with you. Some enclsures are slimline and will only take the more modern slimmer 2.5 drives.
As Puppy sees the drive, there is every chance the Acer will see it and you can then get your data more easily than with Puppy.

However there are no guarantees in this computer situation, just because Puppy sees the data does not mean Windows will. Puppy is more tolerant.

I presume now from what you have said that you did place the Toshiba drive IN the Acer, - Please be careful you read exactly what I am telling you, otherwise you stand a good chance of getting yourself in a real mess.

TheTigers07

TheTigers07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I tried the USB ports and they work with a USB mouse but still do not recognise a USB memory stick. This is what was happening previous to the laptop breaking down, the ports would recognise a printer but not a memory stick.

I have tried mounting the DVD drive like you suggested but I get an error - I have taken a picture of the desktop and uploaded it for you to see.

Sorry I did understand what you meant regarding the external case but I could not get to the shops today and thought putting the hard drive into my acer would not do it any harm, I didn't realise you are not supposed to do that :upset:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_003311.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Bottom left image of disc optical drives are SR and you have Sda1 sda2 and sda3 - those are drives or partitions of drives, open them - one click only what is there.

Re the flash pen, put it in the Acer, if there is nothing on it you want, format it FAT32, connect it to the Toshiba.
You may have to start again and reboot into Puppy again.
Or it may detect it.

However check what those three are - flash drive is normally sdd or sdb and looks like a flash drive as the SR looks like a CD

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
TheTigers07

Just wondered how you were doing have you managed to progress at all

Advertisements

Renae239

Renae239

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I too had this problem and I just wanted to post how I got my computer to recognize the hard drive again! What happened is i have two HD's from my computer. We switch them out for each child. Well my older son had a USB attached to the computer and took out the HD. It was giving me the same error and press CRT alt delete to restart. I spent hours and hours looking online and trying things with my repair disks. When I. Decided to just plug the USB back into the computer and leave it there and TADA my computer started immediately recognizing my HD again. Who would have thought. It sounds wired but it worked for me. Give it a try.