Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Folder Problems... please help!

• Please log in to reply

dawid22

dawid22

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi guys, I'm new to this forums and I'm so glad to see that something like this is available.

Right I'm actually doing this for a good friend of mine who is having trouble with opening his folders. It goes as follows:

He originally installed ACDSEE and for no reason it decided to become the default for any folder, which became very iritating, so we uninstalled it... as we thought it might solve the problem. BIG MISTAKE.

Now when opening any folders (From the C Drive) it goes straight to ""Search""?

When right clicking on the folders it has search at the top as default and then explore, open below it.

Now, my question.

How do I get the folders to open in explore as a default?

We have looked in folder options and all over the place where we could think of but no result.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run, type
regedit
<enter>

navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell key, then look in the right pane...

The only entry should be DeFAULT, with a type of REG-SZ and a DATA of NONE.....

if there is more than that one, delete it....if the only one there has a different DATA value, double click it and replace what is there with NONE

dawid22

dawid22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks so much, I'll only be able to check it for him on Monday, but will let you know if it worked.

Thanks big time

dawid22

dawid22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi gerryf,

Everything worked perfectly, however we still have one small problem. It goes as follows:

When going into "My Computer" and double clicking on any of the drives (C,D, External E, etc) it still takes you to search page. If you can solve this for us you're the man.

Thanks once again for the help on the folders, it's working perfectly.

Cheers
Dawid

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I think I can help

start > run, type
regedit
<enter>

navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell key, then look in the right pane...

The only entry should be DeFAULT, with a type of REG-SZ and a DATA of NONE.....

if there is more than that one, delete it....if the only one there has a different DATA value, double click it and replace what is there with NONE

dawid22

dawid22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Gerryf,

Thanks for your help thus far, but we are still having the same problem you try'd to help me with earlier?

Could I please email you a jpeg of what we have done so that you can see if we are doing it correct? Here is my email: [email protected]

Thanks for your time yet again.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you can attach an image to a post here, and perhaps someone can help, or wait until Tuesday and PM me as I am going out of town for the next several days

dawid22

dawid22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi gerryf,

I stuck the image on my web site.

Follow it here: http://www.vdesigns.co.za/pic.htm

Thanks
Dawid