Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System hangs regularly

• Please log in to reply

shaminosalami

shaminosalami

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I've been suffering from frequent system hangs where my system ceases all activity for about twenty seconds to a few minutes, seemingly related to what sort of programs running at the time. During a freeze all inputs/output stop responding, I time out from any internet connections and any audio playing via audio out (Not USB, although USB devices stay powered/functional) will drag/repeat over about .20 seconds of audio slowly making its way through a track as the freeze continues. Eventually the freeze ends and everything resumes responding perfectly, my system seemingly records no errors during this time.

The hangs themselves seem to occur primarily around a few games (bloodline champions, minecraft, alien swarm, europa) They're shorter when less is going on (hanging on the menu screen for alien swarm lasts about 20 seconds, during a game it can be around two minutes.

Temperatures are all good (CPU 30-50 depending on how much is going on, highest when minecraft server + client is up).

I built this system around the end of january so I'm fairly sure this problem has always been present/may be hardware related. Naturally I've made sure all my drivers are updated and have tried a few slower DRM ticks in the bios as well as the optimized defaults and XMP. I've tried running my computer with less ram installed and it made absolutely no difference.

I also had two BSODs for which I can provide the dumps, one cited memory management- the other I think was page file.

I haven't managed to find anyone who's had quite the same issue throughout my google trawlings, any advice as to what the issue might be would be greatly appreciated- I'm at a loss.

I'd appreciate any advice with regards as to what the issue might be.

Cheers

Edit: Although I posted this here as I originally suspected RAM as the cause I don't have an idea so if you've any suggestions to what it might be or have experienced something similar please sing out. A new, homemade computer running windows 7- probably a lot of potential causes, so if you recognise the symptoms...

Edited by shaminosalami, 18 March 2012 - 04:14 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: shaminosalami
Is the list on your profile the build concerned?

Asus P8Z68-V PRO Z68
Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz Socket
Coolermaster Sileo Quiet Case 500W PSU
Corsair Vengeance 16gb CML16GX3M4A1600C9B
LiteOn IHAS224-19 optical drive
Seagate 1TB 3.5" Barracuda
GeForce GT 520 2GB
atheros ar9285 wireless card

For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.

Your MBs QVL http://uk.asus.com/M...155/P8Z68V_PRO/

Please provide a link if possible to your video card, if not provide the brand name (ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI etc).

For future reference when you are asking for assistance please provide as much information in your OP as possible as it will help resolve things for you quicker :thumbsup:

shaminosalami

shaminosalami

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah, that's my build- I thought it might be more visible than actually having to visit the profile, my apologies.

The CPU and RAM have been tested and approved by the RAM's suppliers, Corsair. I don't think the RAM was available at the time the asus QVL was made. That said if there's good reason to believe that I'd happily talk to Corsair down that line specifically.

graphics card: http://uk.geforce.co.../specifications I Have a 2GB version.

thanks for the help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the update and additional info :thumbsup:
I asked about the video card as I could only see that as a potential culprit down to it only being 64-bit and you had already tried swapping the Ram around, can you borrow another video card for testing purposes.
Have you checked the page file size on your HDD?
See http://support.micro....com/kb/2021748

shaminosalami

shaminosalami

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Cheers, I don't have an alternative graphics card but I do have integrated graphics if they'd be suitable.

According to control panel/system/advanced settings/advanced/page file I have 16GB allocated (seemingly the exact same amount as my RAM) and 23gb is recommended, so that's clearly not ideal regardless of whether it's the cause. My instinct is to set the minimum as GB and the max as 32GB- My page file limit is 33.5GB.

Screenshot of hopefully relevant data attached, hopefully.

thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• pagedata.png

Edited by shaminosalami, 18 March 2012 - 03:05 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Yes the MBs integrated graphics chip would be fine but give the page file size a shot first as the other option means removing your add on video card and uninstalling its drivers etc, which is a PITB at the best of times.
Keep us posted on your progress.

shaminosalami

shaminosalami

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
cheers man, I'll do that then

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are welcome and good luck.

shaminosalami

shaminosalami

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hah, oh dear, no luck I'm afraid, but at least I find out quickly.

Brought page file up, restarted etc. Ran bloodlines, froze a few minutes in- Took out my graphics card and updated drivers on the integrated graphics. Loaded up bloodlines again, same freeze in another game this time lasting about six minutes, the longest ever I think though hopefully unrelated. Just to stress I know it's not that game itself as I get the freezes doing other stuff too.

I'm calling it a night for now, but if you've got any other suggestions please do make them, I just want to narrow the cause down above all else, it's quite maddening. If you can think of any useful data do ask, I've got the dumps from the two BSOD I had a while back- though they may be totally unrelated as they're the only BSOD I've had.

cheers

shaminosalami

shaminosalami

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've got suspicions about this atheros ar9285 wireless adapter, lots of dodgy reports of other products from them which caused crashing/freezing. I'll try with my other adapter tomorrow.

Edit: apologies for the double post, can't find the delete function

Edited by shaminosalami, 18 March 2012 - 05:08 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Ok I will catch up with you tomorrow, good to see you so positive as troubleshooting is a process of elimination and can be tedious as I am sure you are aware.

shaminosalami

shaminosalami

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Disabling the atheros adapter seems to have decreased the issue, if not completely remedied it (not quite sure yet). I've only suffered one freeze since I started using a different adapter, however that freeze lasted twenty minutes before I gave up and reset. Previously I was simply unable to use some programs due to the frequency of hangs, so this is a dramatic improvement if nothing else. I don't have any idea why disabling the wireless adapter seems to have helped, but it definitely has.

I'll see how things go from now on, hopefully the issue is completely resolved and yesterdays crash was unrelated. I still have no idea as to what causes/caused the freezes- I'd like to know for obvious reasons- if anybody reads this at some point in the future who thinks they know please do post.

Thanks for all the help Phill

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the update shaminosalami and you are welcome :thumbsup:
Any further issues please let us know and we will do our best to help.