Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard Cpu Support Problem

• Please log in to reply

chickmazta

chickmazta

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Good day I've been having some problems regarding this Motherboard, its a Winfast K8M890M2MA-RS2H. I wish to upgrade my processor to a dual core so I tried to put an Athlon64 x2 5000. But there's no display just fan spinning. The bundled processor that came with the motherboard is a Sempron LE1150 and its working fine. I've visited the manufacturer's website and it clearly states that it supports am2 dual core processor like the X25000. I've tested the processor on another working motherboard and its ok and no problems.

The stock bios version is 641W1P41. I decided to update it to the latest 641W1P44 thinking that it may fix the problem, and its a dead end again. I tested all other components, cleared the cmos replaced each part that might cause the no display but still no luck. There's no jumper settings that points to a processor upgrade.Hope someone helps. Tnx a lot in advance!!!

the update bios version 641w1p44 is working fine with sempron le1150 and operates in normal condition.

Edited by chickmazta, 17 March 2012 - 11:27 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi chickmazta
While researching the MB it became apparent that BIOS issues are well documented with this MB.
Couple of questions for you;
1: Is either the MB or CPU an OEM component as in are they out of a branded machine such as a Dell, HP, Compaq etc.
2: Are you using an add on video card or MB integrated video chip.

The CPU details can be found @ http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/CPU.html
There is a problem with the direct link but you can access the info from the CPU World homepage above.
The MB http://www.cdrinfo.c...ArticleId=18859

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Tnx sir phill, Both the processor and the motherboard are not OEM. They where purchased on a computer store a few years back for a custom build pc. I'm using an add on graphics card, leadtek 7300gs 256mb. This afternoon I'll redo all the test just in case I miss something. Are there any test I may include? tnx in advance.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

I'm using an add on graphics card, leadtek 7300gs 256mb. This afternoon I'll redo all the test just in case I miss something. Are there any test I may include?

Please try removing the add on video card and using the MBs integrated video chip, let us know how this goes.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I already found the problem. And I'd say this is extremely very rare. The processor's pin doesn't reach the motherboard socket to the contact point. I mean I need to push the processor down so hard so that the pin clearly stick to the socket, that's how I got it to boot even if its locked with HSF. Its either the processor's pin is short or the socket surface is a little thick than usual. I used sand paper to thin the surface of the socket making it a half mm thin. Does anybody encountered something like this?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Ive not heard of this before!
Is the lever that holds the CPU in the socket ok, is the locking tab that holds the arm down and in place bent perhaps!

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
That's what I was thinking too but I disassemble the whole unit and looked at the socket from any point of angle. And I see nothing wrong with it but of course except for the thick surface that I just recently trimmed. I've used 3 other processors and its working fine with this motherboard. And I've tested the processor on other boards as well. Which of the two would be considered as defective?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Which of the two would be considered as defective?

Sorry I can`t honestly answer that I`m afraid.