Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuff running keeps freezing! (Harddrive activity?)

• Please log in to reply

WhatCrowbar

WhatCrowbar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Allright so i just formated all my 3 harddrives and installed a fresch copy of windows 7.

The problem I'm experiencing is something that I haven't encountered before. And i have had a lot of experience with computer problems. So any running application just randomly freezes. (Games: Counter-strike, StarCraft 2 etc, normal applications: Firefox, Google chrome, explorer, winrar, utorrent.)
Yeah so anything just freezes, and when i try to close/click on the window the wheel just spins. Normally when you click something that don't respond you a message pop up saying that it does not respond and asks if you wanna close it right? or end the process. In this case it does not happen. It can stay frozen up to 15 min and after it stops everything works like a charm until next freeze. And during the freeze the HD-LED light is glowing like a candle, like my harddrive was copying shitload of stuff. But it is pretty silent though.

During the freeze i always try to bring up the task manager and end the process but sometimes the task bar freezes when i attempt to right click it, then anything i try to click just freezes.

Things that I have tried: Formated 2 times with 2 different Windows 7 discs (works fine on different computers so that cannot be the problem) I restored my bios settings to default, and I have opened up my case and cleaned the harddrive, checked the cables, and even switched cables between harddrives. I have tried to boot up the PC without ANY external stuff like USB-memorystick and stuff like that, and without network connection. I have done chkdsk /r I have checked the taskmanager for strange processes that may be running.

So I have never had a problem like this with my PC before, it just started after I formated it.

any help would be appreciated!

I will shoot a video while I'm playing starcraft so you can see it for yourself.

EDIT: Here is a video when it happens

Edited by WhatCrowbar, 18 March 2012 - 03:57 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: WhatCrowbar

Are the specs from your profile I have listed below the computer concerned?

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3,2 ghz
ASUS Geforce GTX 560 1gb
4 GB DDR3 (2 Gb Corsair Dominators & 2 gb Crucial Ballistix)
ASUS M4A77TD-Pro motherboard
500W Fractal Design Integra

One thing that I note from the above is that there are two different brands of Ram, not a good idea as dual channel Ram should be used in matching pairs for the best and most stable performance.

For future reference when you are asking for assistance please provide as much information in your OP as possible as it will help resolve things for you quicker :thumbsup:

WhatCrowbar

WhatCrowbar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
yeah they are different brands but it should not be a problem since they have been stable for a long time.
But i just reformated everything again and installed Windows 7 on my second harddrive, it worked now everything works like a charm, I have'nt ran anything on the laggy harddrive yet but that was the problem for sure!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:
Try running the problem HDDs diagnostic tool;

To run the HDDs diagnostics tool;

Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive. http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba then unfortunately you're out of luck because Toshiba do not provide a diagnostic tool so try Seatools or the Hitachi test.