Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Satellite L300D laptop shutting down/fan issues.

• Please log in to reply

Coldwarguy

Coldwarguy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I have a problem with my Toshiba Satellite L300D-10Q laptop. I have observed many similar problems posted by other people around the net, but not my exact issue.
The laptop in question has had, ever since it was brought, a slight problem with the fan, where the fan would speed up and whine for a long time even at idling level, and the laptop would also get hot to the point of burning one's hand. I thought the air exhausts were blocked up with dust, from sitting in a shop for a majority of its life as a display model. However, as I was 12 then and am now l3 I did not have the tools or the money to repair it. Recently, a new problem sprang up, where the computer after being powered on would be extremely sluggish and the hard drive would work away madly. The laptop had never been that fast, but now it had reached a state of unusablity where a simple task such as browsing Facebook on Firefox would impose a huge effort to the point of total freezing and lagging. Then, in the middle of this stress the computer would just turn off without warning, as if it had run out of battery or overheated. It had neither, as it was not that hot. It also happened later when I was on Excel making a table, a very lightweight task for a modern dual core computer. Later, it could not get further than the booting screen before shutting off suddenly. Then, when I attempted to restart via the power button, the power on light would appear, and there would be a slight hum from the machine but nothing else. After more repeated attempts the disk drive would clatter, but no video. The power and AC adaptor plugged in lights would remain on, and I could open the disk drive and close it, but all other perpherals were unresponsive. I also noted through all of this the battery charge light was permanatly on orange, as if we were charging it from a low level, but Windows would indicate that we were at a healthy 94% plugged in & charging. Finally, when i inspected some of the vents and fan outlets on the underside of the unit I could smell an "electric"/burning-like odour from the fan vent on the underside and the air outlet on the left side.
This concludes my report of the problems. Any replies and suggestions would be welcome, as I need this computer for homework as I am approaching a particularly tough time in my school term where exams and graded tasks are apparent every week!
Thanks,
Coldwarguy :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: Coldwarguy
Do you still get a BIOS screen when you first power up?

It appears that you may have more than one issue going on, overheating caused by dust, a faulty/failed CPU fan or both, the same could also be affecting your video chip and HDD and a power issue caused by a bad AC adapter or battery.
Cleaning out all heat trapping dust (including the Ram slots) and checking the CPU fan should be done first, this is not a task that the average user should undertake as notebooks can be difficult to work with.
See steps 1 - 9 (only to gain access for cleaning) http://www.irisvista...deo-cable-1.htm and decide if this is a task that you are confident enough to undertake yourself using a can of compressed air.

If the above is done try starting with only the battery in place and no AC adapter, what happens, if nothing remove the battery and connect only the AC adapter, again what happens.