Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP not booting from hard drive

• Please log in to reply

LiliaJ

LiliaJ

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have just reformatted my computer with Windows XP, everything seemed fine while the computer is running. It won't boot up though unless I enter and exit the bios (I don't do anything in the bios just enter and exit and then it boots up normally). Right now this is more of an inconvenience then anything else, but I'm concerned that this is the beginning of more serious problem.
-My computer is Dell about 6-8 years old
-Windows XP Pro 2002, SP2
-Intel, Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz, 512MB

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
It is possible that your BIOS does not retain the boot configuration and that when entering it it then does see your hard drive as the boot drive.

Try changing your CMOS battery and after replacing it enter the BIOS set it up the way you want it save your configuration and boot, if on the next boot it works like it should then it will have been the battery was the problem.

If changing the battery does not solve your problem make sure that the jumper to reset your bios (pin 2-3) is not on the reset but on the default position (pin 1-2)

Hope this will help

LiliaJ

LiliaJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay, still no luck with this one. Turns out that my entering the bios has nothing to do with booting up. It fails to boot, and then gives the option to retry or enter bios. If I wait a few second (maybe closer to a minute) and retry, the drive boots normally. If I retry right away it will fail again. My entering the bios was just like waiting, so when I'd leave the bios it would boot normally aswell.

An unrelated problem had forced me to move the computer to another room (internet problem, fixed) and the computer was left unplugged for several days. When I turned it back on it booted up fine (and twice more) but it ran so slow, the slowest I've ever seen a computer move. It took over five minutes to enter the start menu and click shut down. Any time the boot fails however the computer runs great once it gets going.

I've talked to a couple of people about the problem and they are as stumped as I am. I was hopeful it might have been the cmos, but everyone I talked to seemed doubtful, and said that if that was the problem the computer would have prompted me. Thank you.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try running chkdsk /r