Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer restarted and now no .exe file will open [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Riodn

Riodn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for the suggestion. I've managed to load Dr. Burn onto the infected computer but did not have the green desktop like your picture has. Instead it was just a black background with various commands available in which I ran scan (note: it did not ask which folders to select). The program then runs in a black screen that covers the entire scrn with what appears to be matrix type texting showing if that makes sense. Meaning that it scans a particular file say C drive windows and then moves on but in an extremely fast manner. So if you look at the screen, you would just see tons of text just popping up and being bumped up by the next scan. My question is how long should this scanning process take? As I'm writing this message, the scan is still ongoing and it seems like it is scanning the same files but in a cycle but I cannot tell for certain because the files move so fast. I would say it has been about 4 hours worth of scanning and I was just curious to see if perhaps I did something wrong. I will leave my computer on overnight and let it continue doing its thing. Perhaps in the morning the scan will be done but I just thought I should update you on what is happening. Thank you again for your patience and help thus far.

Update: The scan finished after 10 hours of scanning. I had to manually shut down my computer because seems to have been no response after it said 100% shutdown. I've waited for over 45 minutes. When I load my computer in normal mode, all the problems seem to be the same as if the scan had no effect. I cannot run the OTL or anything.

Edited by Riodn, 21 March 2012 - 09:27 AM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
To me this appears to be a system rather than malware problem, so first we will check your disc structure and then check the file veracity

Follow the instructions here to run Chkdisc

Once that has completed then run SFC from the windows cd

Boot from the windows cd
Follow the instructions here to get to the Command prompt
At the command prompt type the following :

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows

Once you have done all that then let me know what problems there still are

Riodn

Riodn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I was able to run the check disk and run windows repair but at the end of the day, those two options did nothing and my computer was still the same. I decided to just go ahead and completely reformat my computer. Its a hassle but this problem of mine appeared to be a bigger hassle. Everything seems to be in order now and working as intended. Although I'm still curious as to what happened to my computer that made it such a big problem, I've never encountered something like that before. I want to thank you for all your patience, knowledge, and great help. On a last note, I was wondering if you can recommend some free anti-virus programs/programs that will overall keep my computer safer and cleaner. Once again, thank you so so so much for your help. Your expertise was greatly appreciated.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
My best guess is that the shutdown, because it was not done cleanly, corrupted some system files and maybe even some sectors on the disc

There are currently three free antivirus programmes. I will give the link to the one I use - if you do not like it then I will provide two further links

1. Avast the one I use

2. AVG

3. Avira

If you need assistance in setting them up let me know

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.