Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

PC on wired network won't connect but iMac and wireless devices wo

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Saturday, AVG alerted me to a Backdoor threat and I requested that it be fixed. The system rebooted and now the PC will not connect to the Internet. Tried the normal fixes. Changed cables, changed ports on the router, rebooted the modem and router, tried System Restore back to Thursday, Friday and Saturday and the message said all 3 times that Restore was incomplete and nothing can be done. Just tried rebooting in Safe Mode with Networking but no internet. Any suggestions would be helpful before I trash this older box.

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,062 posts
What operating system, XP, Vista or Win 7? Since it's an older box I'm guessing it's XP.

The first thing to try is run System File Checker (SFC) from a Command Prompt (Elevated Command prompt if Vista or Windows 7).

Open a Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter. If there are any damaged or missing system files, SFC will ask you to insert your XP Install CD. If you don't have one then perhaps you can borrow one from a friend? Has to be the same version and service pack level (Home, Pro, MCS - SP2 or SP3).