Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Indexing trouble on Vista 32 bit machine - high CPU usage

• Please log in to reply

Durre

Durre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
My tcpmon.ini file starts out exactly the same way. I don't notice any difference between the code you posted and the code in my file.

Aha, I have to take back my words. Thank you very much for your hint. Posted Image On Vista it's called perfmon.exe.

Edited by Durre, 21 March 2012 - 06:55 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Is the entire tcpmon.ini file readable? It should be. Mine ends with:

[OKIDATA3]
NAME = "OKI Network Print Device (9100)"
PORTS = 1
PROTOCOL1 = "RAW"
PORTNUMBER1 = 9100
SNMP1 = "?"

Durre

Durre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
The code in my file is exactly the same. I clicked Properties > Securtiy and there it says for this particular file:
  • System: read, read and execute
  • Administrator: read, read and execute
  • My account: read, read and execute
  • TrustedInstaller: write, read, read and execute, adapt, full control (or is it called management?)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That matches what I have. No idea why SFC decided it was a problem file.

Durre

Durre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
So should I just leave it and take no further steps towards trying to solve the matter?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I think it would be good to replace it with a good one. On my Win 7 computer the only place that file exists is C:\Windows\system32, so there is no other place you can restore it from. You can try gettting it form another computer or I can upload mine for you to try.

You can try replacing it from Safe Mode or a Command Prompt off the Advanced Boot Options Menu. If no go then you will need to do it from a booted Recovery Console.

jonw9

jonw9

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I too have struggled with a corrupted tcpmon.ini file for the last few days. Internet searches found no solutions except a total clean install of Windows 7. Eventually (I believe) I was able to Restore from not the most recent, but a couple of weeks back, my C: partition and have my fingers crossed that it's OK now. I read in another forum from two years ago that someone was able to copy that file from a Dell OEM CD - I have the CD but am not familiar with how to find and extract one file.

Now that perhaps I have a clean tcpmon.ini file, is there a way I can make it read-only, to protect it from corruption? Even though I'm the Administrator I cannot change its properties - nor the whole System 32 folder properties.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Buy an external hard drive. Then use Acronis True Image ($$$$) Or software like Macrium Reflect Free to make an image backup of you r hard drive. That way if anything happens, recovery is 30 minutes away.

Update the backup as you make significant changes.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I just want to throw my 2 cents in on indexing...
I disable indexing on all my systems then install google desktop...it indexes your drive and if you have a gmail email account it indexes it as well...just like a search using google it it super fast
split second results...I highly recommend it you have to search for things multiple times a day it is unbeatable

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
On the other hand .... I consider anything Google to be a virus that should be avoided like the plague.

Edit: This is just my own personal feelings about Google. They are not a virus in the normal meaning of the word, just that they are constantly being foisted on me from so many way and have become the new "Big Brother".

Advertisements

usamakareem

usamakareem

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi everyone, thank you for the solution, however I have another solution to the searchindexer.exe high CPU usage problem as well as well. It is to create process DUMP to analyse specific files causing the high cpu usage. Its seen that a certain Korean file that is downloaded as a result of updates could be causing the problems and can be resolved by renaming korwbrkr.dll to korwbrkr.bak