Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron N4010 Touchpad

• Please log in to reply

TM86

TM86

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recently had a mishap with my dog, my computer and a can of Dr. Pepper. Somehow it killed my touch pad. I have since replaced it. Now, when I use the old wire ribbon, my computer will turn on, but the touch-pad still does not work. When I use the new wire ribbon that came with the new touch-pad, my computer will not turn on, the power light just flashes once. Before replacing my touch-pad I did re-install the drivers and that didn't work either. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go! :D

Did you verify the part numbers? Or, is it the correct touch pad? Sounds like a hardware conflict.

If verified, you may have gotten a defective part.

TM86

TM86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have checked the part number and it is correct. How can I confirm that it's a parts defect? Because I bought it on Ebay and it's guaranteed to work but I don't want to call them out on it if it's really just my computer.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I have a friend who has a knack for breaking screens on his iPhone. I think it's 3 in 3 months. I don't even own an iPhone, but replacing a screen sounded like an interesting challenge. It was. I think the first time it took a couple hours, the last time just over half an hour.

Why am I sharing this story? The last screen he ordered on eBay was defective. Displayed only an all white screen. The vendor claimed all parts were pre-tested, but offered an exchange (no refund). Faced with no phone for a few more days he ordered another screen from someone else with faster shipping options. When the new screen worked, the original vendor offered to refund his money. Of course, I also got to "practice" a couple of more times. :P

Long story short. Is there a way to "test" a touchpad? No, not unless you have a known good part. I'd request a replacement.

TM86

TM86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I just shot an e-mail out to the seller. My brother suggested the same. I'm hoping that since they are a "top rated seller" they will work it out. If it doesn't, do you have any suggestions of where to buy from that would be cost effective? My whole goal is to not go broke trying to fix the stupid thing. As of right now, I'm only in $13.49... So I can't complain too much.

TM86

TM86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I contacted the seller and he is going to send me a new part. However..... Now I have a new problem and am starting to think it's just me. I took apart my other laptop to fix the mouse button (which turned out to be irreparable, of course) put it all back together.... and now this touchpad doesn't work either. It doesn't even show up in the device manager. I re-installed the driver for this one too, and no luck... I've run out of ideas for this one too!! :help: