Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

zombklr092

zombklr092

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have an ASUS M2N motherboard (5 years old) and I'm planning to install Windows 7 OS. I got a questions about replacing hard drive, when I'm going to install a 1TB internal hard drive and it supports 6Gb/s. I have 4 SATA adapters supporting 3Gb/s, does the 6Gb/s internal hard drive supports 3Gb/s SATA adapters???

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi zombklr092, Posted Image.

Is this your Motherboard, http://www.asus.com/...#specifications ?

If you click on Downloads, click on OS, There is no option for windows 7. Even if you search through the BIOS updates it appears that window 7 is not supported.

Edited by iammykyl, 20 March 2012 - 04:04 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Yeah, before upgrading such old hardware to a current OS, you should run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to make sure all your hardware support Windows 7.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Go to this page, http://www.microsoft...e&type=Hardware

I have put your board in the box at the top. If you have any more letters or numbers for your board, add them.
You can use the filter on the left.
You can use the 2 lower links on the left.

Be advised than if your board does come up as compatible, I have read biogs were some have still had problems getting the OS to run and not crash.

If you do install the drive and it is not recognized by the system, you may have to change a jumper on the back of the HDD itself.
Please keep us informed of your results. or decision.

zombklr092

zombklr092

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi, my motherboard worked well in Windows 7 OS and everything worked very well but with the exception of the audio driver itself called SoundMAX. However Windows 7 OS automatically installs the Windows audio driver itself and the integrated sound card worked fine as well. :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.
great that you upgrade has worked out good. Posted Image