Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 Laptop Help

• Please log in to reply

SRTUK

SRTUK

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hey...
Basically I have Dell Latitude C600 laptop and it Windows 2000 installed on it. I have a Windows XP Upgrade disk which I attempted to use. However in my stupidity I actually deleted Windows 2000 which now means I cant install XP and get Error Loading Operating System when I try and load it up. I've been told i'll need the actual Windows 2000 disk but as it was already installed when I got the laptop I don't have one, only the Windows XP Upgrade Disk.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have the dell recovery disk?

SRTUK

SRTUK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Wow thankyou for the quick reply ;)

But not to my knowledge :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you delete the windows partition in the windows set up after booting from the cd? or did you do a format on the partition?

SRTUK

SRTUK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I think I actually deleted the partition after booting up from the CD.....
Sorry I can't say for sure as I done this a few months ago and am generally really bad with these kind of things :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well that's actually probably better than if you formated it. all the windows set up does when you delete a partition is remove the pointer from the MBR (master boot record). do you have a cd burner?

SRTUK

SRTUK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yeah I do

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
cool, i might have something that will help. it's a bootable version of xp that has some nifty tools. it has some MBR repair stuff that might help. let me check some stuff out. with it and i'll see about getting a file to you to burn.

SRTUK

SRTUK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Oh brilliant thanks very much :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok, just had to check how to use the tool, ive never had to use that portion yet.

the iso that i have is way to big to send (350 mb) so here's the website to compile from
http://www.ubcd4win.com/
the site has all files neccessary to download and compile the cd.

with the disk you can boot from cd and basically have a full version of xp running in ram outside of anything else on the machine. there are two programs in the disk management portion called mbr wizard anf fixmbr the fixmbr will allow you to write win2k info into the mbr. then you can manage the partitions and see if you can get everything reconnected. besides. it's not like you can break it any worse right?

Advertisements

SRTUK

SRTUK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
lol bloody [bleep] no!!

well thanks for all the help :tazz:
if i have any problems would u mind if i asked??

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
one problem though. you need an xp disk. i'm not sure if the upgrade disk will work with this one (though the upgrade disk is a full copy of xp)

SRTUK

SRTUK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
To be quite honest I'm reading these step by step guides on tht site you provided and they are so confusing....well to me anyway

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it will work

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what's your email?
i'll send you the iso. i'm pretty sure gmail will let me send this thing.