Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet not working tcp/ip errors & other device manager errors

• Please log in to reply

gho

gho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Code 10

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Go Start
My Computer
right click C drive
click properties

What please is the capacity and free space on the hard dfrive

gho

gho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
71 GB capacity
16.2 GB free space

Would be more free space but it seems like a lot of stuff is frozen on it after my Windows XP reinstall. That I can't get into but that's for another time lol.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am signing off it is 0244 here in UK

You have worked hard.
I know at the moment it is frustrating but I am sure we will get it working.

Please go back to the Dell link and install the Desktop System Software driver - here is the actual link for you to that driver.
http://www.dell.com/...oductCode=False

If you have the Drivers and software CD or whatever it is called I would also run that and see if you can get a network driver from there.

I will be back about 1700hrs

If you know how to enter BIOS setup check that NIC is shown as ON. that is the Network Controller.

Onboard Devices

NIC Controller You can set the NIC to On (default), Off, or On w/ PXE. When the On w/

PXE setting is active (available only for the future boot process), the

computer prompts the user to press <Ctrl><Alt><b>. Pressing this key

combination causes a menu to display that allows you to select a method for

booting from a network server. If a boot routine is not available from the

network server, the computer attempts to boot from the next device in the

boot sequence list

THAT is NOT the PXE setting that is to boot from Network device it is simply that it is ON

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If you do not manage to make any progress, can you borrow, presuming you do not have a usb wireless adaptor and we can then use that, both to check with Dell and to run some other tests - that is of course presuming that your modem/router porvides wireless internet

gho

gho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
The Desktop System Software did it. I went in and did a desktop reset tool after I downloaded it. It picked up my audio and I got that setup again. I went to video next but need to download that onto a disk still. Then I went to the ethernet and did that and bang popped up a Broadcom 440x10/100 Integrated Controller. I clicked on a little computer that popped up on the bottom of the screen. It prompted me from my router name and password and bang on the net. Also got prompted on a Conexant D110 MDC V.9xModem installation. Which I did.

I want to thank you so much for helping me get my internet up and running again. I'm sure I was a pain but we finally got the correct stuff back on the computer. :thumbsup:

I have one other questions. Since I did the Windows XP reinstall. You had asked me how much space I had free and available on my computer. Can I get back into the locked C drive stuff anymore or clear it from the C drive if I can't get into it so I at least have my free space?

Edited by gho, 25 March 2012 - 12:58 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well that is great news.
I am so pleased for you.

Please bear in mind my post 4.
You need now to go to Windows Updates and install all your updates and then when you have SP3 install MSE as your AV.
or an av of your choosing NOW,

Do be careful about browsing the internet before an AV is installed.

have one other questions. Since I did the Windows XP reinstall. You had asked me how much space I had free and available on my computer. Can I get back into the locked C drive stuff anymore or clear it from the C drive if I can't get into it so I at least have my free space?

When you open C drive have a look in Documents and settings under all accounts shown
See what is there please.
Locked C Drive - please explain a little further

gho

gho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I'm on update 50 of 71 now and been careful what i'm doing online.

When I go into C drive and documents and settings I see my old user. But when I try to go into the file it gives me this message.

C:\Documents and Settings\User Name is not accessible Access is denied

Edited by gho, 25 March 2012 - 02:58 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
To save me reading every post again, sorry if it has been mentioned but I cannot remember is it XP home or XP professional

Also

I went to video next but need to download that onto a disk still.

You don`t you have a connection go straight to dell and download it

I am signing off early tonight.
Back about 1700hrs
It is now 2255hrs
If you have Professional at the logon screen key Ctrl Alt del twice.
At the logon screen press ctrl+alt+del twice, a dialog box will appear .Type in username as"administrator" and leave the password blank and enter.

If you have XP Home
A. Start Windows XP computer and press F8. Choose "Safe Mode" and press "Enter" key at the Advanced Boot Option windows.
B. On the login screen, select the Administrator account and keep the Password column blank (or input the changed password if the default Administrator account password has been reset).

Then see if you can access the files from your old setup.

gho

gho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
XP home and I got the SP3 now and got the Microsoft Security Essentials setup. Yeah I wasn't thinking when I said that about the video, it's been a long weekend :blink:.

I tried the safe mode idea with no changes. It shows the file as being empty when I passover it. But it won't let me access it. I tried one recommendation. To go into Windows explorer and tools >folder options and view. Then turn off hide extensions for known file types, hide protected operating system files and show hidden files and folder. Then go into the document and settings and ctrl> copy the old folder. Then try to paste it into the new user folder. But it fails to paste into the new folder. I'm not sure if it's because of the size of what needs to be moved over or it just won't copy over. But updating my computer and getting windows updates setup took up a good 4 GB's.

Edited by gho, 25 March 2012 - 06:15 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1.Send me a screenshot please of Disk Management.
That is Control Panel Administrative tools, Computer Management, Disk Management
Here is how to send a screenshot

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Finally I gave up and just did a total reinstall of windows XP on my Dimension 4700C

Was this from a recovery partition or from a XP CD
If it was from the CD have you in fact done a parallel install
That is where the complete old installation is still there, but you then install to a new folder ie: instead of it being C:\>Windows you install to C:\>Windows1 for example
as per this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

so if you have on C Drive, when you open it you will now have TWO Windows folders, not merely your old account documents and settings folder.

3. Re your comment on your last post, to eliminate any confusion

. I tried one recommendation. To go into Windows explorer and tools >folder options and view. Then turn off hide extensions for known file types, hide protected operating system files and show hidden files and folder.

The correct procedure is:
  • In Windows Explorer, click Tools, click Folder Options, click the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders, click to clear the Hide protected operating system files check box, and then click OK.
but you MUST NOT copy
Ntuser.dat
Ntuser.dat.log
Ntuser.ini

gho

gho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Posted Image

From the XP CD.

What is this part for?

Ntuser.dat
Ntuser.dat.log
Ntuser.ini

Do i need to run that or do something else with this?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No you do not do anything with them.
If you saved your whole documents and settings folder then those files are your USER files for the system as it was. If you copied them now to your present documents and settings folder you would have serious problems.

Have you tried the procedure I posted on the documents and settings in your old user name and do you see these files,
HOW did you save all your personal data in documents and settings for your user name in the first place when you say you did a

total reinstall of windows XP

gho

gho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Yeah that's the thing I didn't save anything prior to doing the reinstall. I didn't know that it would block me out of my old user like this. From what I gather it's toast and I can't do anything about it? But if that's so why is it taking up space on the C drive? If the folder containing my old user is empty if I deleted it, it still wouldn't clear anything or would it?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
There is just one possibility if you wish to try it.

PUPPY is a linux based program that runs in ram.
If the data is there it will very likely enable you to recover it.

It will require you to burn a CD.
Do you wish to try if so here are the instructions
http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

On that link it tells you to download Puppy 5.20 Lupo but as there is a new edition the link for the download no longer goes to 5.20 Lupo so here is a separate link for the Lupo download
http://ftp.nluug.nl/....2/lupu-520.iso
All other instructions are as per the link.

Using this will circumvent any question of permissions in Windows.
If the files are there make sure you ONLY copy your images, documents and audio files.

YOU then simply transfer these files to YOUR new user account.

When you have done that run diskcleanup on start programs, accessories, system tools, disk cleanup and you may well see that you gain more free space.
It is difficult to advise you exactly as I do not know what you did when you say you "total reinstall of windows"