Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Post Screen?

• Please log in to reply

mechanic

mechanic

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Can anyone help me with a problem thats started on my computer running xp pro? At switch on a screen comes up which think is called the post screen.It list my hdd master,dvd,cd etc and also says select F1 to continue or delete to enter setup.Selecting F1 allows the the machine to bootup.Selecting delete takes me to another screen showing bios.Can anyone tell me what is happening and how to stop this happening?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi mechanic

You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

Do you get any on screen messages at all?
When the computer does complete POST are the RTC time and date on the task bar correct?

eyetripoli

eyetripoli

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hey,

In general, computers do not require computers operating normally to press a key to complete the POST sequence. The most common reason for a computer not completing POST and requiring a key press is usually a fan error or HDD SMART error.

Is there any message before or after the message to press F1 to continue?

~ieee

mechanic

mechanic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Sorry for not providing enough info.The computer is a custom built desktop.The motherboard is an Asus model P43-X,pentium 4, 2ghz processor,4ghz ram,80ghz hdd,dvd writer,cd writer.There are no messages, other than the listing of hdd master,hdd slave etc,before or after the F1 or Delete options.T date and time on the taskbar are correct.

Edited by mechanic, 21 March 2012 - 06:08 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I have seen this type of behavior because the battery on the board is bad.
I know you say that the date and time are correct, but I would change the battery anyways. It is an inexpensive item to purchase and try.

mechanic

mechanic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Many thanks for the reply 123 roadrunner. Have tried a new battery but the problem still remains.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Next time you boot up try tapping the Tab key, let us know if there is any change.