Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dns changer ? [Closed] [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
Hello again Myrti
well i survived the resetting of both the modem and the router (of course i screwed up naming the network/or the home group or something)
so after help from verizon support today (after a frustrating long day yesterday trying to reconfigure the settings :wub: ) i am back online on both computers
thank you very much for your help
and if there is anything else i need to i await you further instruction
p.s. have i told you all here how much you are appreciated ? well you are !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Advertisements

myrti

myrti

Expert

• Expert
  • 2,580 posts
Hi,

that's great. :) Did you get verizon to check that you're no longer listed as being redirected too, or did they just help you reset the router?

regards myrti

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
shoot no i did not ask
i guess i spoke too soon because after i posted i brought the laptop to the kitchen and it stopped connecting
i am so frustrated with this all i did was reset the routers and now i cant connect via laptop without plugging in Ethernet it detects my wireless signal fine and strength is excellent but it says settings saved on this computer do not match the requirements of the network

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
i called linkseys and they want 30 for one time help
the verizon guy did a remote access and it was working for a little while
i wish i was better at retaining the steps to reconfiguere the network but i have problems with short term memory loss making it very hard to learn this stuff ugggggggggggg

myrti

myrti

Expert

• Expert
  • 2,580 posts
Hi,

do you remember if he told you something about wireless security and recommended changing the encoding? Did you change the password of your network? Those are the two most likely changes done on the router.

regards myrti

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
yes i think i changed the password

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
i have win 7 on laptop and xp on desktop
my router came with a cd but i recently changed the disk drive with one from a diff computer (on desktop) and now xp doesnt detect the drive so i cant use the cd to sewt up network automatically (the weird thing is if i put a disk in it will play or read content but wont work the other way ie burning to disk ect )
any way i dont know what to do now
thanks myrti

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
holy cow that was it
i deleted the old connection on laptop and made new one with new passphrase and its working
thanks you jogged my memory :blush: !!! not easy to do :thumbsup:
ok myrti whats next :lol:

Edited by snowysdad43, 21 April 2012 - 01:51 PM.

myrti

myrti

Expert

• Expert
  • 2,580 posts
Hi,

I'm glad you're back online! :) I would like to run an online scan, to check for possible leftovers we didn't see so far:

ESET Online Scanner:

Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.

Vista users: You will need to to right-click on the either the IE or FF icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.

• Please go here then click on: Posted Image

Note: If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.
    All of the below instructions are compatible with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.

• Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on: Posted Image
  • When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked, and the option Scan archives is checked.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Now click on: Posted Image
  • The virus signature database... will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
  • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically.
  • Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
  • When completed select Uninstall application on close if you so wish, make sure you copy the logfile first!
  • Now click on: Posted Image
  • Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.
Note: Do not forget to re-enable your Anti-Virus application after running the above scan!

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
HI MYRTI
the log file copied to notepad but when i opened it it was all encoded
but i have the name of the location file
it is
c\hp\bin\wbug\compaq presario_spring06.exe A VARIANT OF WIN/32 ADINSTALLER APPLICATION
i was afraid to copy that text file here thinking it contained the virus
but should i copy it here even though its gibberish

Edited by snowysdad43, 22 April 2012 - 07:24 PM.

Advertisements

myrti

myrti

Expert

• Expert
  • 2,580 posts
Hi snowysdad,

this is what we call a false positive. The file is legit, Eset is wrong. Even if it wasn't you couldn't post the virus onto board by just using text, you don't have to worry about that. :)

Could you please post the complete text for me?

regards myrti

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
hi myrti

well i am not sure if this is correct but when i try to copy and paste the file here it just shows 2 letters
but if i try to manually copy it there are 39,000 lines on the notepad :help: :help: :help:
note when the scanner finished i tried to use the 2 options available
1- save file
2 export txt file
neither option seemed to do anything so i physically copied the red highlighted text that was displayed as the 1 infected file found and then opened note clicked file then open then i pasted the file name (from eset ) and that was what i tried to paste here it contained 39,000 lines all garbled (encoded)
should i re run the scan

Edited by snowysdad43, 23 April 2012 - 10:42 AM.

myrti

myrti

Expert

• Expert
  • 2,580 posts
Hi,

are you sure you didn't accidentally open the executable instead of the log file? If that was the only line shown, then everything is fine. That's a false positive.

The PC is still doing fine? Have you heard back from your ISP whether you're still being flagged as infected?

regards myrti

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
hi myrti
my isp claimed they did not know what i was talking about ! i emailed the regional director for my area she claimed they dont advise people via phone message lol
then i called the 800 number and their tech support said it sounded like a phishing scam
:angry: and they had not heard of such a thing as fbi sponsored servers protecting thousands of people :whistling:
at any rate i followed the links you provided on both computers and they appear to be clean :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
so perhaps the fact that this desktop is was purchased in 2005 or 6 maybee that is part of my problem lol
so again many thanks for your help and i happily await your next words of wisdom :happy:

snowysdad43

snowysdad43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
here is a link to a story in the news today about this whole server deal
but i know you are well informed about it already :happy:
http://www.foxnews.c...ternet-in-july/