Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sata drive not recognized

• Please log in to reply

gltf

gltf

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I bought a Seagate 2 tb sata drive as an add-on for my xp computer with SP3
I have a 500 gig drive in sata 1 and it works fine
I installed on sata 2 (and tried 3 and 4 slots) no luck I even switched it too sata 1 and nothing
It shows up in the bios
It shows up in the device manager
It does not show up in disk management
The Seagate disc wizard see it when I do an add device program but then it fails
Where do I go from here?

Advertisements

eyetripoli

eyetripoli

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hiya gltf,

If the drive is not showing up in the Windows disk manager than I would suggest using a live linux distribution to format the disk. Everyone has their own personal preference what they like to use, I like to suggest gParted because of its ease of use. You are going to format the 2TB drive to the NTFS filesystem and confirm the changes, reboot.

Let me know how it goes.

~ieee

gltf

gltf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have not used Linux before.
Do I just download it and run it or is there more
Sorry I'm a noob at this part