Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wordpress Website hacked. New to this stuff

• Please log in to reply

Rudy Rudy

Rudy Rudy

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My wordpress site has been hacked. I don't understand any of this stuff. I'm just trying to save money, so I went with this instead of a monthly fee site. Now I'm screwed.

I installed a plugin so people could share the posts on FB. It worked for a minute. Then, all of a sudden the links began sending people to another site.

Here is a sample:
http://www.facebook....t=share_comment

Its supposed to go to www.DoItWithLovePhotography.com but instead, it goes to any number of different sites.

I deleted the plugin and tried four others with the same results. Where do I look and what do I look for?

I'm so new to this. I work 2 jobs. Stressed to the max right now.

Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Do you have a nightly backups? The easiest, and most secure solution would be to restore a backup from before the hack. Perhaps your host can help with this. The only thing you'd lose is any posts and comments since the backup.

Next best option is to delete all the public files, and re-upload them. They're usually located somewhere like public_html. These are the core Wordpress files, your posts and other data are stored in the database, and will be unaffected. Don't delete the database. Don't re-install Wordpress. Just upload fresh Wordpress source files, any plugins, and themes.

The reason you want to delete them all first instead of just uploading and overwriting is there is often a file dropped onto the site that is difficult to identify (time/date stamps will match, etc).

Rudy Rudy

Rudy Rudy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
spam

not spam

Rudy Rudy

Rudy Rudy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The above was a test. The site only goes to spam when someone clicks through from Facebook.

I contacted my host support. They tell me to contact facebook , that it's a problem with them.

It's not! I'm so frustrated. I need help going through this because I don't know very much about this code stuff, or even how to back things up from wordpress.

I think it's over my head. And I'm worried that if I wipe it out, the junk will still be there and my site totally useless.

Rudy Rudy

Rudy Rudy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm going to wipe my whole site and go with another company that I don't do the behind the scenes stuff myself. I really think this is beyond my comprehension or time to devote. And from what I've read elsewhere, there is no guarantee this won't happen again even as soon as a few hours later.

I will post my final results.

Thank you!