Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No send/receive light on Ethernet port

• Please log in to reply

brumbry

brumbry

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The computer in question is a Dell Laptop Vostro 3400 running Windows 7.

Here is my issue:
LAN card was working fine lights blinking and Internet working fine. Unplugged the cable took the laptop to the kitchen and came back to my room but when plugged back the Ethernet cable no lights for Ethernet connection (nor send or receive).

So I took my brother’s laptop and plugged the Ethernet cable in the laptop and I got a light on his Ethernet port and connected to the Internet, so I ruled out the Ethernet wall jack or Ethernet cable being a problem. So I did the following on my laptop:
1. Pinged 127.0.0.1 and got a response.
2. Deleted the controller and re-booted, still the same. / Deleted the controller and rebooted, accessed BIOS and loaded default settings
3. Did an ipconfig /flushdns, ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew and ipconfig /all and get a "media disconnected" message
4. The controller shows up in the device manager as working properly
5. Tried pinging microsoft and yahoo, can't resolve a DNS
6. Tried a system restore to a previous date, still no response.

I'm still getting a "network cable disconnected" error every time. Is it possible that the controller is partially functioning?

The rest of the computer’s ports and networking features (wireless and Bluetooth) are working fine.

Any ideas?

Advertisements