Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 1501 Computer running very slowly!

• Please log in to reply

JayCir05

JayCir05

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello, this is my first post on the forums. I currently have a DELL Inspiron 1501 laptop running an AMD 64 Athlon x2 with Windows Vista 32 bit. My computer has been running extremely slowly with lagging between almost every action. When I right click on anything the menu takes a while to emerge. I can't play many online games that i used to play because of significant lag spikes.When playing songs off of itunes, the song starts very choppy and gradually gets better. I just need someway to optimize system actions overall. I dont believe i have a virus, but I am no expert. Computer also takes very long to load up. I know this is a general problem, but maybe you guys have some general tricks to boost my performance. Any information needed please let me know. Thank You!

Advertisements

JayCir05

JayCir05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
OTL logfile created on: 3/21/2012 12:41:30 PM - Run 2
OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.39.1 Folder = C:\Users\Rocco\Desktop
Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 (Version = 6.0.6002) - Type = NTWorkstation
Internet Explorer (Version = 8.0.6001.19190)
Locale: 00000409 | Country: United States | Language: ENU | Date Format: M/d/yyyy

1.87 Gb Total Physical Memory | 0.82 Gb Available Physical Memory | 43.55% Memory free
4.35 Gb Paging File | 2.02 Gb Available in Paging File | 46.35% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): c:\pagefile.sys 2587 2587 [binary data]

%SystemDrive% = C: | %SystemRoot% = C:\Windows | %ProgramFiles% = C:\Program Files
Drive C: | 101.71 Gb Total Space | 44.12 Gb Free Space | 43.38% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive D: | 10.00 Gb Total Space | 5.77 Gb Free Space | 57.71% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive F: | 232.88 Gb Total Space | 39.65 Gb Free Space | 17.03% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS

Edited by rshaffer61, 21 March 2012 - 12:14 PM.
Removed malware log .Not used in this forum area

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

Do you regularly perform the standard maintenance tasks such as
1. Disk Cleanup
2. Browsing history cleanup
3. Defrag if this is analysed as necessary
4. Do you use P2P software, torrent downloads etc.
5. Have you USED registry cleaners optimizers, make it go faster programs etc PLEASE DO NOT, they generally are unreliable and freqently slow down rather than improve performance.
6. Which Anti-virus program do you use please.
7. What have YOU tried up to now.

In addition to answering those questions for me would you please go here
http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web
See the instructions.
Then download the FREE edition and send me the URL

Whilst I have a look at Speccy results would you please go to this link which is a short article I have prepared and address the points raised in sections 5, 6 and 7, using the links provided.
http://www.geekstogo...-your-computer/

Depending of course on how much of this you have already done

JayCir05

JayCir05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I currently use Advanced System Care Pro (Licensed) for:
1 Disk Clean Up
2 Disk Defrag
3 Internet Sweeping
4 Malware Removal/Detection
5 Registry Defrag
6 Registry Cleaner

For virus protection I use AVG. As for the registry, I use the tools in Advanced System Care Pro that i have stated above. However I have had registry problems in the past, I've have tried to fix things such as the inability to rename folders, and microsoft office issues. I regularly perform disk checks, cleaning, defrag, and virus detection. In order to open up more free space on my disk, I have also moved most music, picture, and video files to an external hard drive. One of my main concerns is the lag i have during gaming. I run Steam to play Dota 2, and I used to play World of Warcraft with extremely low FPS.

JayCir05

JayCir05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
http://speccy.pirifo...oHlT1vRQIt47Yvu

Speccy Results

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
go to start (windows Button)
type in search box
msconfig

click the StartUp tab

click to take out the check mark on
ALL advanced system care entries
All entries related to your Printers
All entries related to ADOBE
All entries related to your Webcam
All entries related to Pc Doctor
Same for Apple Mobile device
Any ITunes entries
Hold your mouse on each one and you will see what it is
Then when you have unchecked them all, click APPLY and OK - REBOOT and click to check the small box, do not show this message again.
If you have any entries at this stage that you are unsure of, just leave them checked.

when you uncheck those entries, BE CAREFUL you do not uncheck any other than I have described, unless you KNOW for certain that it is not required at startup.

These are programs etc that load ON START UP. Part of your problem is in my opinion the memory usuage by Advanced System Care.

Do you know that part of your AVG AV is turned off.

ADVANCED SYSTEM CARE
Unfortunately in my opinion and of course it is your computer, you have purchased a program that generally does only what you can do free of charge, but unfortunately has the added disavantage of pretending to make a system into something that it is not, by tweaking this service and that process.
In my experience that usually ends up with problems

Indeed not unlike these

I've have tried to fix things such as the inability to rename folders, and microsoft office issue]

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have posted separately so that you cannot miss it, as you have probably already read my previous post.

It is sometimes difficult for people to accept that a program they have bought is undesirable, especially when it claims to work such wonders as Advanced Ssystem Care does

Keeps your PC running at peak performance Enhanced
Fully optimizes Windows for ultimate system performance and top Internet speed by unleashing the built-in power of your system, based on how you use your PC and your network configuration. It turns your PC into a business PC, a productive workstation, an entertainment center, a game machine, or a scientific computing PC.

The claim made is IN MY OPINION absolute fantasy. There is NOT and never has been an automated program that can make a computer into a gaming machine if the processor, memory and graphics are inadequate. Not only the quantity of the ram, but the speed at which data can be written to it, just as one example and no amount of tweaking by a program such as Advanced System Care, is going to make it so.

Here is the conclusion of an acknowledged expert in this field

Conclusion
Advanced SystemCare does not live up to its name and could, if used incautiously, cause more problems than it would fix. The automatic tasks that it performs are unacceptable because the program does not request permission from the user. The poor startup performance of the system is another point to note and to the program's suggestion that NOD32, WinPatrol and Outpost processes are questionable is another unacceptable aspect of Advanced SystemCare. Users who want this kind of system utlility would be well advised to look elsewhere.

Written by: Donna Buenaventura • Edited by: Bill Bunter
and posted with ackonwledgement
http://www.brighthub.com/

JayCir05

JayCir05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have read both posts, my start up has already enhanced, and I am currently in the process of removing Advanced System Care from my computer.
Do you have any suggestions for free software that I should run regularly?
I know windows provides a disk cleaner, but as far as other cleaning processes what would you suggest?
I am also looking for a way to increase smoothness of gaming. I dont know if you are familiar with Dota or Dota 2, but it is a fairly simple game graphics wise and I am still very laggy, even with all video settings set to low.
I appreciate the help, thanks a lot!

Edited by JayCir05, 21 March 2012 - 04:35 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
SLOW DOWN a little please.

We were - WERE now, I think rather than ARE - going to look at what changes ASCare has made presuming that it does SAVE them somewhere.

If you have already uninstalled we cannot now of course do that.

AVG is OK, as an anti-virus, but it has become a little bloated and gtens to use quite a few resources.
I RECOMMEND its uninstall using Control Panel, Porgrams and features and then THIS
http://www.avg.com/ww-en/utilities

ENSURE please before you commence the uninstall you know which it is so that you may then continue to the appropriate removal tool.

Here then is a list of ones we recommend. We at GeesktoGo have no connection with ANY of them. It is simply our opinion gathered over time as to which offers the more satisfactory combination of protection without being a large user of resources or too intrusive
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

I use Microsoft Security Essentials on my four computers but it really is a question of choice.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
May I post with the next advice as I am going to be unavailable for an hour or so

Firefox can install many add-ons.
Each of these has to be loaded and running when you open the browser
Please see this and examine the number of add-ons you have
http://kb.mozillazin...ling_extensions

You may equate the difference that uninstalling the unwanted toolbars, helpers, update checkers etc will make, to the difference in preventing some porgrams running at startup, to a lesser extent.

Load Firefox as IT IS NOW and roughly judge the time taken for the borwser to be loaded and ready for use.
The click Help and click start firefox in Safe Mode.

Only the one time start, do NOT configure it for every time.
Measure it again.

Then go to the link and follow the advice as you click the Tools tab and add-ons.

Advertisements

JayCir05

JayCir05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Upon trying to uninstall AVG from Control Panel>Programs and Features I receive this error message from the uninstaller

"Severity: Error
Error Code: 0xC0070643
Error Message: General Internal Error.
Additional Message: Could not access network location %PUBLIC%DESKTOP. (0xC0070643)
Context: MSI action failed"

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Examine the list and see what other antivirus programs are listed - including ANY that are not AVG
Uninstall those.
Check if AVG TuneUp is installed and if so uninstall that.

If it still does not work , boot into Safe Mode and try again.

If it still does not work use the AVG uninstaller tool.

It MAY and it is MAY be the result of the ASCare.

You could try this but ENSURE please you have the correct product identified.
Perverse as it seems you install it to uninstall it
http://www.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-4416

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
JayCir05

I have signed off back about 1700 Uk time
Now 0029

JayCir05

JayCir05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have Microsoft Security Essentials installed and all other antivirus programs uninstalled. Let me know when you are back online thank you.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Hi.
How do you now see the performance please