Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot BCD problem don't recognize devices (hard drives)

• Please log in to reply

JulienBe

JulienBe

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi! I'm new here, but I really need your help. I have a problem, I had installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview in my netbook acer aspire one 532h, then the OS began to give me many problems, I try to re-install again the Windows with the program (no with the iso) above the windows 8 that had previously installed, so the machine froze and I had to turn it off, when turned on again an error message came 'a disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart' and then when I try to install Windows 8 with the usb booteable the program did not recognize the hard drive, told me refresh to search the devices. I don't know what can I do, when I try to start again appears this message:

Windows Boot Manager
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your lenguage settings, and then click 'Next'.
Click 'Repair your computer'

If you do not have this disc, contac your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: The Boot Configuration Data file doesn't contain valid information for an operating system.

So I try to follow this http://support.micro...om/kb/927391/en Follow step 2, but nothing happened, because when I start the cmd and follow the step, when I write 'bcedit /export C:\BCDBackup' or 'Bootrec /RebuildBcd' the error message is: 'The store export operantion has failed. The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid.'
Anyone can help me please? I'm desperate :( . thanks again!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello,

Sounds like the hard drive is failing or already failed. Does it show up in the BIOS? Are you able to run a bootable diagnostic to detect and diagnose the drive?

Cheers