Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error code for Windows Live Messenger

• Please log in to reply

joanelaine

joanelaine

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi Everyone,
I am going to try and help my friend who cannot log onto Windows Live Messenger. When I was at her home yesterday I found the error code 80000401a.She has been trying to open win live messenger for ages she tells me and the message is that it is temporarily unavailable. The only thing I can think of is to uninstall Windows Live Essentials from add/remove and reinstall it from the download site. I can't even try to see what version she has but imagine it's v.9, I could be wrong though. When I search to find out how to go about uninstalling, there seems to be a lot involved to uninstalling so wondering if that is all necessary. I can follow all those intructions but seems like a lot of work and easier if I could just uninstall from add/remove OR Revo uninstaller.
Your advice would be appreciated. My friend is not able to do this herself. I'm just looking for a quick way out but if you think I should do all that uninstall stuff in the registry I will but would rather not. I do know how to edit the registry but as you experts say "stay away from the registry" so I try to do that. I don't want to muck up my friends XP computer. My friend wants Windows Live Messenger as she talks to her Grandchilren.
Many thanks,
Joan.

Advertisements