Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan.Bebloh

• Please log in to reply

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello reader

Yesterday I received an email supposedly from DHL (I was expecting one), but thought it looked a little strange. I scanned it with Avast and the message was "no threat found", but I decided to delete it anyway. The email it came with, I tracked back to Alicante in Spain.

Since then, my Avast keeps warning me that it has blocked a threat (have a look at the screen capture attached), but a boot scan and MBAM scan both prove negative. HJT log is clean and the threat keeps changing its location and file name.

Is this a real threat? Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

Phil

Attached Thumbnails

• threat.jpg

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi Phil!

VirusTotal does show that URL as malicious. Report here: https://www.virustot...sis/1332796990/

It's a pretty generic warning, so I don't think the infection has got far. Try clearing your temp files with TFC, and schedule a boot-time scan with Avast.

Post an OTL log here when done.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hi BB

Too late! The error messages started to build up, with warnings about the file infection that just kept moving, and I couldn't find any of the files, then some applications stopped functioning and finally I was unable to boot. I did use an OTL log and it was clean. Boot time scan was clean, MBAM was clean, Kasperskey online scan was clean - weird stuff!

In fairness, the PC was 12 years old (well the case was) and had undergone 3 upgrades, the last one about 3 to 4 years ago (IDE drives are rare these days). I decided to join the 21st century and invest in a new PC with Windows7, 4 GB RAM, 3.3Ghz core i3 cpu and decent graphics.

I managed to transfer important data to my new PC by using an IDE to USB cable, and I am trying to get all of the software to function correctly. I have 3 problems right now:

• Excel (send page by email function is missing)
  • Free PDF XP (error messages even after re-install)
  • Photoshop CS3 (won't activate with my key, tells me its been used - I'd upgrade if it was less expensive).

Thanks for replying to me, I trust you and your family are well.

Regards

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sorry about that. You could have pulled rank and sent me a PM. :whistling:

Some nasty stuff going around right now. I don't actively remove malware much anymore, but I'd guess it's the TDSS infection that runs from a hidden partition.

Excel, have you configured an email client yet?

Try CutePDF instead of PDF XP.

CS3 you have to deactivate on your old computer first. A catch-22. Looks like you may get another chance to clean the old one. :ph34r:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
A couple people have mentioned to me that you just need to call Adobe, and they'll fix your CS3 issue over the phone. :cool:

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
I thought I replied to this 9 hours ago, but no sign of my post ... this is what I replied.

Cute PDF is working well thank you.

I am going to try installing OUTLOOK and perhaps even use it as my email client.

I can't deactivate Photoshop since the original HDD will not boot, so I hope the trans-Atlantic phone call is cheaper than the re-registry fee.

Thanks for your help.

Regards