Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pros of having an office network.

• Please log in to reply

Melissa Gail Wolford

Melissa Gail Wolford

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I work for a company which supplies every other business with office supplies. The office building we work out of is a crappy building with tiles that move when the wind blows hard and concrete walls. This makes the 4G and 3G on our personal phones impossible to connect. A coworker with an iphone can't even send text messages to his wife due to this, because she has an iphone too and apparently iphone to iphone needs 3g to work.

I use a laptop at work, but the computer dudes hooked me up via an dlink connector, so I have to plug in.... there's no taking my laptop elsewhere to use it if I should choose to do so...

We've been asking about wifi in the office. The boss himself carries a wifi only ipad which came in handy for him on a sales call.

I need helpful articles to help convince the boss to add wifi, because there will be an extra cost. We have Cox Communications internet here, but for the wifi it'll be an extra $40 per month, but it'll be completely separate from our office network. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisements

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

The main argument for Wireless in the office is increased productivity in that you can do your work anywhere in the office.
You could argue the point that there would be fewer cables littered around the office.
You could mention that with Wireless you could offer Wireless to visitors.

Having said all that, I have studied how wireless works in substantial detail focusing especially on wireless security and would point out that any wireless functionality in your office would be a security risk that would need to watched.

We have Cox Communications internet here, but for the wifi it'll be an extra $40 per month, but it'll be completely separate from our office network.

I'm not sure that I understand how having wireless in the office (through Cox) would be an extra $40 per month. I'm guessing you are in the U.S. and they may do things differently, but over here, (as far as I'm aware) no ISP charges for Wireless connectivity. We just go to a shop buy a wireless enabled router/modem, plug it in to our phone line and we have wireless. The only cost involved would be a one of payment for the router/modem.