Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thumbs.db

• Please log in to reply

nrobe

nrobe

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Every time I save something on to my computer, something called Thumbs.db appears

Please can you solve.

Advertisements

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

Thumbs.db is a file that is used as a cache for thumbnails. If you have images in a folder and you view them as thumbnails then Windows will make a thumbs.db to reduce the time it takes to view them in the future.

The file itself is completely harmless and can be removed if you want. The file should also be hidden, so if you change your folder options to hide hidden files the file will not be shown.

nrobe

nrobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have deleted a few - how do you find folder options to hide them.

Also, I have something on my computer called RK Unhooker, that I do not want - don't really want to just delete the icon on my desktop, how do I find the bit that was installed.Have tried add or remove programs and it's not there.

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

To hide the files, you will need to do the following...

Open Control Panel.
Open Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Select the "Don't show hidden files, folders, or drives" radio button.
Select the "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" check box.
Click "OK"

That's all there is to it.

I don't know much about RK Unhooker but if it is not in the add remove programs list, chances are that it is a standalone application.

nrobe

nrobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
What does stand alone application mean.

I also have something called OTL.exe that is on my desktop - same thing, don't reallly want to delete only the icon and can't find the rest of it.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

What does stand alone application mean.

Basically means: It does not install to a folder, it's running directly from the desktop. Deleting the Icon would be enough to remove the item OTL.exe

Joe

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
RK Unhooker is also an executable...all you need to do is delete the icon and you've removed the application. :thumbsup: