Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen of death on my laptop

• Please log in to reply

rsamboragal

rsamboragal

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Help! Recently, my laptop has started randomly giving me the BSOD. I've noticed it seems to do it when I'm watching a video. I have the sneaking suspicion that it's due to a video player I recently downloaded. (I wanted to see the first few episodes of my favorite show and it's not on Hulu, nor is it on Netflix soooo...yeah...slap my wrist. I do know better. But, my show was so worth it!)

Anyway, I googled to find a fix and found this site. (Yay!) On one forum, I saw that a moderator first asked the person to download Blue Screen View and post the results here so...guess what? I did that:

==================================================
Dump File : Mini032112-01.dmp
Crash Time : 3/21/2012 5:11:59 PM
Bug Check String : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug Check Code : 0x00000050
Parameter 1 : 0xcd540886
Parameter 2 : 0x00000008
Parameter 3 : 0xcd540886
Parameter 4 : 0x00000002
Caused By Driver : fltmgr.sys
Caused By Address : fltmgr.sys+3040
File Description : Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205)
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+98379
Stack Address 1 : ntkrnlpa.exe+4ddd4
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 : fltmgr.sys+4c6a
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini032112-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 6002
Dump File Size : 154,344
==================================================

Really appreciate the help!!!

-Gretchen

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi rsamboragal ... :wave: ..:welcome:...
did you try restore yet...if not do so now...

rsamboragal

rsamboragal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have not tried that but will now. Thanks!

rsamboragal

rsamboragal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
K I did the sys restore and had the BSOD twice since. :( Any other ideas?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first uninstall the video player you downloaded...

then download and install WhoCrashed from http://www.softpedia...oCrashed.shtml' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>here..
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

click on it...then run...then next...put a tick in accept...then next..put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder..then next...put a tick in create a desktop icon..then install.. then make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed...then finish...then click Analyze ...

if you get a message
This software requires the right version of Windows Debugging Tools for your type of computer. Because this is not normally installed and is not redistributable, we suggest you select the download option from below. Then the right package will be downloaded to a temporary folder and the required files will be extracted from the package automatically. You only need to do this once
click on download then try running it again

WhoCrashed will create report...you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply...

rsamboragal

rsamboragal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 4/2/2012 4:11:28 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: athr.sys (athr+0xE104)
Bugcheck code: 0x8E (0xFFFFFFFFC000001D, 0xFFFFFFFF881252F0, 0xFFFFFFFF803F0D0C, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\athr.sys
product: Driver for Atheros CB42/CB43/MB42/MB43 Network Adapter
company: Atheros Communications, Inc.
description: Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a kernel-mode application generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: athr.sys (Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver, Atheros Communications, Inc.).
Google query: athr.sys Atheros Communications, Inc. KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

On Sat 3/24/2012 2:13:53 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini032312-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: netio.sys (NETIO+0x195F)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF8AC0E95F)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\netio.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Network I/O Subsystem
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 3/24/2012 1:50:45 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini032312-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x98379)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41287, 0x18, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

3 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

athr.sys (Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver, Atheros Communications, Inc.)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
give me the make and model number for your computer and I will get you a link to your wireless driver and after installing it if your still having issues will will test your ram...

rsamboragal

rsamboragal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I tried to find that Atheros driver update but when I google it, I get all kinds of crazy stuff. I don't want to download the wrong thing and get a virus or screw my laptop up worse than it is...

rsamboragal

rsamboragal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Um....it's an HP... model number?? where do I find that?

rsamboragal

rsamboragal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Does this help:

windows version: Windows Vista Service Pack 2, 6.0, build: 6002
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Turion Dual-Core RM-70 AMD586, level: 17
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 2950369280 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2015571968

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here...
you can try letting HP support do it here
just click on the start now button just below Or automatically find your products and solutions

rsamboragal

rsamboragal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Is it this:
HP G60-125NR Notebook PC
Serial Number: 2CE8401N3Z
Product Number: fs185ua

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
32 or 64 bit OS

rsamboragal

rsamboragal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
nevermind the 32 and 64 bit are the same driver...its here...
its a executable file so after downloading it just click on it...after its done installing reboot