Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen of death on my laptop

• Please log in to reply

rsamboragal

rsamboragal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Is it supposed to run after it's installed? The folder is in my C: drive, but that's it. Nothing happened. I rebooted thinking that might execute the file but nothing happened....

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just click on it...

rsamboragal

rsamboragal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I clicked on the sp39403.exe file that downloaded and it just installed a folder on my computer. That's it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
reboot then use the computer normally and see if your problems gone

rsamboragal

rsamboragal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I played a video and it crashed again. Then, when I tried to start the computer, windows wouldn't load. i had to use the startup utility and then do another system restore for it to load. :(

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you remove that video player you suspected right at first...

click on start...type in cmd.exe...select it from the results above by
right clicking on cmd.exe and select...Run as administrator
at the prompt type in chkdsk /r...press enter
NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /
this can take a long time but it is neccessary to make sure there are no bad sectors on the hard drive...
there are 5 stages
it may appear to hang at a certain % or even backup and go over the same spot...let it run at least 2 hours after it appears to hang
it usually will complete unless you shut the computer off...
when its done reboot and see if the issue is gone...
nojoy...
open a elevated command prompt like you did for checkdsk but this time at the prompt type in sfc /scannow

If SFC could not fix something, then run the command again to see if it may be able to the next time. Sometimes it may take running the sfc /scannow command 3 or more times to completely fix everything that it's able to....

NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /

How to See and Read Only the "SFC" Scan Results from the CBS.LOG

NOTE: When SFC runs, it logs it's actions into the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. The steps in this option will show you how to see only the specific SFC entries with the [SR] tags in this CBS.log. This can be helpful to show you what files SFC could not fix automatically if you wanted to try and manually replace them.

1. Open a elevated command prompt (right click -> Run as administrator).

2. In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below and press Enter
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a sfcdetails.txt file on your desktop with only the SFC scan result details from the CBS.LOG in it....

copy and paste the log in your reply

You can safely delete the sfcdetails.txt file afterwards

rsamboragal

rsamboragal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I think that may have worked. Thanks!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
great...and thanks for letting us know... :thumbsup:

rsamboragal

rsamboragal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Houston...we have a problem.
Well, I'm no longer getting the BSOD but it's still not working. I'll get about 5-10 min into a video and it just goes black and the laptop stops responding. No cursor...nothing. Just a dead computer. I have tried hitting esc, ctrl+alt+del and neither worked. I had to restart both times that it happened and then the laptop runs startup repair. Ugh! So frustrating! :(
It ONLY happens when I'm watching a video or playing the Sims (so far, that's the only game that has done this).
I thought maybe my video card or something??? My husband seems to think my fan's not cooling properly...is there a way to test this?
Any other thoughts?
:(

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

My husband seems to think my fan's not cooling properly...is there a way to test this?

yep...
lets see if speedfan will give us more info...get it here
run it and post a screenshot...
when you have the screen up that you want to capture...click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would...

Advertisements

rsamboragal

rsamboragal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
smartfan result.jpg

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...see all the fires...you will have to clean out the dust bunnies/rhinos from your computer...
laptops are more difficult than towers but if you want to try yourself google how to clean out a laptop

watch/look at several sites before you try anything so you have a good grasp of what you need to do